32: In Sickness and In Health

It's been over four months since your marriage, and five since you got pregnant.

Your pregnancy made you pretty sick; like a never-ending fever.

While Jean was out running errands and taking care of his mother, Mikasa helped you figure out why you were this sick.

Mikasa had made your home an ancient library with many of Grisha's books and medical textbooks.

You both took into consideration a very logical idea: the baby could be half titan, like you.

The theory behind it was simple. You had titan serum flowing in your blood. The baby's blood should also contain the syrum, making the blood half-human, half-titan. Giving the kid a full human lifespan, and titan-shifting abilities.

Of course, there was nothing to prove this theory, seeing that you were the only person in modern times recorded to have these circumstances.

But that still didn't exactly explain why you were so sick. The possibilities were endless; antibody disease, malnutrition, malfunction of an organ, or a literal, simple fever that has just been seriously prolonged.

Mikasa had found a book of Grisha's myths that explained what happened to a woman who got pregnant with a titan shifters child, and said that because the child was half titan, ate the insides of the carrier. But that was likely because the mother was human herself. Neither the woman or baby survived, but it was something to read.

You cleaned up the plenty of used, snotty tissues you had thrown on the ground next to your couch throughout the hour. Mikasa read another book. You sat next to her.

"Not even doctors can find out why?" You asked her, sounding sick through your voice.

"No." She said blandly. "These books are useless. You're one of a kind."

"I'm sure other women have had serious fevers during pregnancies." You sighed. "I simply think there just isn't a reason!"

"There has to be. It makes no sense for a fever to last three whole months." Mikasa muttered.

You shrugged. Someone opened the door and walked into the house.

"Jean!" You greeted.

Jean walked over to you and gave you a peck on the lips. "Hey."

"How's your mother?" Mikasa asked.

"Doing better. But I suspect she's beginning to lose her hearing." Jean said. He leaned over Mikasa. "What's this one?"

"A tragic novel." Mikasa closed the book and took off her reading glasses.

"Have you found anything that can make [Y/N] live longer, at best?" Jean asked.

You rolled your eyes, annoyed. That's all Jean cares about now.

"Can we forget about that?" You told him. "Just focus on the problem at hand?"

"No, [Y/N]!" Jean shouted. "How do you expect to have a kid and only be there for it for three years?"

Mikasa ignored the conversation and continued reading.

"This is why I wasn't a fan of this from the beginning." Jean muttered, walking away to the kitchen to cook.

Mikasa looked away from her book. You sulked and sighed, glancing at the book that Mikasa had in her hand.

"He was never into having kids in the first place," Mikasa." You told her.

"And you tell me that everyday." She said, returning to the book. "After you have the baby, you'll see how much he wants it."

"Whatever." You sighed.

"I think there's a ninety percent chance your kid is half titan." Mikasa added. She pointed her finger to a sentence in the book and read parts if it. "And if that's the case, if it doesn't get fed when it wants, it'll eat you."

Jean jerked his head up and began listening more attentively.

You were frightened. "What?"

"It might explain why you're so sick. Your immune system gets much weaker during pregnancy. If your kid is half titan, it's immune system is much stronger than yours. That's why you have a fever that isnt going away. Your baby is preventing it." Mikasa explained. "But there's still a ten percent chance you're just sick and everything is fine."

"Mikasa, how do you know this?" Jean asked, engaging himself in the conversation.

"This book." She said. "It's just a myth or a theory, I think."

You grabbed the book from her and started flipping through the pages. "Insanity."

Mikasa nodded.

"I have to eat every hour. No, every thirty minutes." You stuttered.

"Lets get rid of it." Jean pleaded.

"No!" Mikasa shouted, shaking her head.

"I haven't gone through these five months for nothing, Jean." You argued. "I'll fight through these next four."

"It's going to kill you!" Jean argued.

You gave him a glare. "I don't care. I'm going to die anyway. I'd rather die bringing another life into this world."

Mikasa gasped and grabbed the book. "Don't think like that!"

Jean tensed. He became mad.

"I'd rather you than the kid." Jean said. "I don't want it if I can't have you as well."

You got hurt by that comment.

"Jean, enough." Mikasa shut Jean up.

"You're so insensitive, Jean." You muttered. You raised your voice. "We vowed. Through sickness and through health. This is it, Jean. If you can't handle this, you don't deserve me."