19: Fools

"So, Bertolt was the colossal titan?" You inquired, shaking your head in disbelief.

"I can safely say it was too much bullshit for one day." Eren sighed.

"Shit. Well, I'm going for a coffee. You guys want anything?" You asked, politely.

"No. thank you, though."

You put your hair up in a ponytail and slipped on your leather boots, mittens, and coat. The snow had melted since the blizzard, but there were still light flurries. Winter in the interior was harsher than it was down south.

You walked through the village. Children were playing, mothers were talking over a cup of coffee, and military police were drunk and slacking off as usual. You couldn't help but smile. There was finally peace, and you were longing for the day you'd be stress and worry free.

As you walked into the cafe, the smell of freshly baked goods and ground coffee filled the air. You walked up to the counter and ordered a small coffee. You quickly glanced out the window, while cashier recorded the order on a notepad.

You noticed two children and their mother. The children seemed like they might've wanted something, but, frowns grew on their faces as their mother spoke to them. It seemed like they couldn't afford it. Before they left, you held up a finger, signalling for them to wait.

"Is that it, ma'am?" The cashier asked.

"No. I'll also get two chocolate croissants as well, if you don't mind." You ordered, handing the cashier the money. "Keep the change."

The cashier gave you the croissants and your coffee.

"Thank you." You waved.

"No, thank you!" The cashier waved back.

You walked out the cafe and saw the two kids waiting by the window. You handed both of them one croissant.

"Enjoy." You smiled.

"Thank you!" They chirped, skipping away to their mother, who waved to you. You smiled. Making others happy made you happy too.

You stuffed one of your hands into your pocket and held the coffee with the other. You took a sip and got burned. Your tongue began to grow numb.

"Shit." You cursed under your breath.

Since the HQ was quite far from Stohess, you had to walk through a trail in a forest to get back.

You embraced the crisp breeze. The trees were almost completely naked, with only a select few brown and orange leaves. The rustling of the leaves eased your mind, and you embraced the amazing nature.

You could hear footsteps coming from ahead. They got quicker and louder as they got closer. Out of nowhere, Jean crashed into you, knocking your coffee out of your hands. It spilled, but luckily, not on you.

"Jean!" You said, startled.

"Shit, you got coffee all over me!" Jean stated. "This stains, you know?"

"Well, you were the one who ran into me. Literally!"

"It's fine, don't worry. I was gonna come and get you at the cafe!" Jean exclaimed.

"Is something the matter?" You asked.

"I have a surprise." Jean grabbed your hand and began running.

"Wait!" You shouted. "Where are we even going?"

"You'll see!" Jean answered.

About fifteen minutes later, Jean finally slowed his pace.

"Just a minute walk from here." Jean said.

"Where the hell are you taking me?" You panted, trying to catch your breath.

"We're here." Jean replied.

You looked around and widened your eyes. You hadn't been here in so long, it felt like an eternity.

Jean brought you to the little opening in the forest near the training grounds.

"This is trespassing! What if someone finds us?" You exclaimed.

"Don't worry, we'll be fine!" Jean reassured.

You both sat on familiar stones.

"Wow." You said.

You felt so much nostalgia being back. Silence fell amongst you.

"It's been a while since we were here together." Jean broke the ice.

"Yea." You muttered. "It's hard to believe how much has happened since then."

"I swear, if I hadn't lied, this would've never happened." Jean chuckled.

You giggled. "You'd probably be dead."

"Probably." He sighed.

Jean's hand slowly slid towards yours, and you slid yours. Jean put his hand on top of yours, earning a smile from you. The moon and stars shone beautifully.

"Do you ever miss being trainees?" You asked.

Jean hung his head. "Too often."

"Remember the times when you, Marco and I almost drowned each other here?" You smiled.

"I'll never forget."

"And when Shadis almost stretched the skin off Connie's face on the first day?"

"He also head-butted Marco and made Sasha run all day."

"That damned potato."

You and Jean broke into a laugh.

"What's your name, Maggot?" You
mocked Shadis, quietly.

"Sasha just passed some gas, sir!" Jean mocked Mikasa.

You reminisced the old times. Even thought those times were a few months ago, it felt like centuries.

Jean stood up and held out a hand. You smiled, gladly taking it. You wrapped your arms around Jean's neck, and he wrapped his arms around your waist.

"Never thought I'd get to know you like this." Jean muttered.

"We got lucky." You replied.

You pecked Jean on the lips.

Jean pulled you closer. You pressed your cheek against his chest. He rested his chin on top of your head.

"I thank God every day for bringing you into my life." Jean said. "You've really changed me."

"Yea, I've turned you into a fucking hooligan. A fool who almost died, like what, five times because of me?" You laughed.

"It's because I care about you, dummy."

"Shit, Jean. I treat you so horribly. I even cheated on you with a traitor."

"Enough. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me. You've helped me grow. I see the world in a different light. I have purpose."

"Oh, goodness."

"I'm eternally grateful for you, even if I won't be able to hold you like this in the future. You'll always have a place in me."

You held him tighter. Words truly couldn't express how much you felt for him. It was a type of love you couldn't explain.