22: Joy

—note: BG = background and FS = father's surname

You sat down near the fireplace, waiting for Jean. He had gone out to buy some coffee.

Things had been tough lately, with all the expeditions and the death of your mother.

In addition, Krista was also no longer with the Survey Corps, and was now queen of the walls. She inherited it from the Reiss family.

Jean was almost killed by Military Police, and you and Eren had been captured along with Krista by her father. Something about the titan surum.

Long story short, you went through a lot of shit in the past month.

"Hey." Jean greeted.

"Hi, Jean." You smiled.

Jean handed you the coffee.

"Be careful, it's really hot." Jean warned you.

"It'll be alright." You took a sip of the coffee.

"Guess what I figured out today." Jean said.

"What?"

"That they arrested the three MP's that murdered your mom. They claimed they were drunk." Jean said. "They're all serving a life sentence."

"Figures." You sighed.

"But," Jean continued. "Your mom still engaged in the fight. Something like throwing punches and pulling out a blade because something broke out between them. And then that's when the MP's pulled their guns out. Your mom suffered a gunshot to the head."

"You seem quite jumpy for someone talking about murder." You cocked a brow.

"Yea, cause there's a catch." Jean revealed. "She still had a pulse."

"What?"

"She didn't die on the scene." Jean nodded. "She's in a coma right now."

"Dear God." You sighed.

"Anyway." Jean said. "Wanna go out? I saw a new bar that opened up. It seems nice."

"We'll check it out."

You and Jean headed to the bar. There was at least an inch of snow on the ground, and light flurries were coming down. You wore your usual coat and mittens, and Jean wore a black jacket and a fedora.

"Isn't it warm out here?" Jean joked.

"As if." You chuckled.

Jean wrapped his arm around your shoulders and pulled you closer.

"Here it is." Jean pointed to the bar.

It was very modern. There was a fireplace right in the middle, couches and benches instead of normal chairs, and the atmosphere was very welcoming.

"Cool." You muttered.

Jean lead you up to one of the waitresses.

"Hi there! Is it just you two?" She said, putting something in someone's bill.

"Yes, just us." Jean answered.

"Okay, you can choose your seats if you'd like. I'll be right with you!" She said.

Jean nodded and walked to a corner table. There was a couch in the corner instead of chairs. You followed.