10: Stories Untold

The next day, you decided to share your little spot with Jean.

This morning, Erwin announced that you'll go out on your first official expedition soon, so you wanted to make the most of your time inside the walls. After all, it may be your last few weeks inside them.

You were currently collecting rocks with Jean for some casual rock skipping. At the headquarters, things got boring quite quickly, and this is what it had come to. Knowing Jean, you also brought a bathing suit and extra change of clothes in case he decided to push you into the water.

"Jean! Where'd you leave the bucket?" You shouted, struggling to keep all the rocks in your hands.

"I'm coming!" Jean said as he ran towards you. He placed down the wooden bucket and you tossed in the flat rocks. It was half full.

"Seems we have enough, don't you think?" Jean mentioned.

The both of you went to the end of the log, and put the bucket beside Jean. You took a handful of rocks, so you wouldn't have to reach over to get a rock each time. You both started to skip rocks.

"So, [Y/N]." Jean began.

"Ooh, that was like, seven skips." You muttered while turning your head to face Jean's. "Yea, Jean?"

"Do you think we'll make it back alive?" He said.

You sighed and threw another rock.

"This escalated quickly." You murmured.

"Never mind, you always think worst-case scenario anyways." Jean sighed.

"Tch. What else am I supposed to think?" You rolled your eyes. Some time passed and you had both stayed silent, just listening to the rocks glide against the water.

"Well," You sighed. "If we dont, or one of us dont, then let's live our lives to the fullest while we do have each other around." You threw another rock.

"Yea, sure." Jean muttered, unpleased at the thought of you not being around.

"Let's tell each other about our childhoods." You spoke clearly.

"What?" Jean spat, a little confused.

Your childhood was quite pleasant before the wall had been breached, so you wouldn't mind sharing your backstory.

"Okay," Jean rubbed his chin, thinking. "Well, I was quite the chubby baby." He said. You gave a small chuckle and Jean chuckled as well, shaking his head and rubbing the back of his neck. "And I loved omelettes."

"That's not surprising. Whenever you're in the kitchen, all you make are omelettes." You giggled and sighed.

"That's true." Jean began again. "But I also got bullied a lot back home. But my mom was always there for me. I miss her a lot." Jean blushed a bit.

"Aww," You teased. Jean scoffed

"Anyways, your turn now. Tell me about your childhood."

You inhaled deeply and started.

"Well, I was also a very, very chubby baby. My friends and I used to go steal from candy shops. We'd take grocery bags, stuff them with chocolates, and run for our lives." You smiled, remembering the good times.

"And then?" Jean said.

"And then the unthinkable happened." You sighed.

You heard footsteps coming from the deserted trail. Out came your mother, holding some pieces of thick paper.