28: Over Espressos

You anxiously awaited meeting your brother... If he was even who he claimed to be.

Jean was skeptical. He was worried that Aubrey Klein wasn't who he said he was, and was actually someone who might want to attack you for your power, or something like that.

You and Jean prepared to meet Aubrey. You were hoping that Commander Shadis wasn't lying about the step-brother thing.

You slipped on your coat and boots and headed out the door. Jean grabbed his fedora and followed you, closing and locking the door behind him.

"I'm nervous." You told Jean, slipping on a mitten.

Jean wrapped his arm around you. "If anything goes wrong, we'll handle it." He started. "Lucky we're part of the Survey Corps."

You chuckled. "Yea."

"You're lucky you still have a family around." Jean sighed.

"You're lucky your mother is doing alright." You said. "I thought I lost all my family."

"We should visit her later today."

"Yea." You agreed.

You and Jean approached the cafe. You found a seat at a booth. Warm and comfortable, unlike outside. Mid February.

The waiter came by and took your orders; two espressos.

You and Jean talked casually for a while. You always kept an eye out at the door, to make sure someone that could be your brother was there.

A tall, six foot something man walked in. He had brown hair and he was fit. You heard him mutter a few words to a waiter at the front. You heard your name.

"Has [Y/N] [L/N] come in yet?" He asked.

"Yea, I'll walk you to their table." The waiter said.

You nudged Jean and told him you thought he was here. You both stood up while he approached.

He smiled, and let out a hand.

"Aubrey." He said. You took his hand and shook it.

"[Y/N]." You introduced. "This is my fiancé, Jean."

Jean shook his hand. "Nice to meet you."

"Likewise." Aubrey smiled. He took off his coat and sat down. He did have a strong resemblance to your mother, and had lots of similar features.

"A coffee? I can wave the waiter." Jean offered.

"Sure. That would be lovely." He decided.

The waiter came over and took Aubrey's order; another espresso.

"So," You mumbled.

"So Christina married again, huh?" Aubrey asked.

"Yea, I guess. Charle [F/S]." You said.

"I've heard of him." He smiled.

"He's quite popular."

"So how's Christina doing? She still works for the Scouts, right?" Aubrey asked.

You turned to Jean. He seemed surprised and looked at you.

The waiter came with three espressos and a few sugar packets.

"Well," Jean started.

"She was shot, about a month ago. She was on life support, but didn't survive." You explained.

Aubrey stopped pouring the sugar packet in his coffee. "Oh."

Jean nodded.

"Well, that's alright. Things happen, I guess." He started. "She does have the most difficult and dangerous job in the world... speaking of which, you trained with the cadets?"