21: Assault

You slowly opened your eyes and sat up. The sun shone through the blinds, making your eyes sensitive to the light. You covered you face until you adjusted.

What time is it? You thought.

"Time for you to come back." Someone mumbled.

"Hmm?" You looked down at your bed and remembered Jean stayed the night. You looked at him sheepishly. He pulled your waist, bringing you back down. You turned your body to face him.

Jean opened his eyes and smiled.

"Good morning." He said, tucking your hair behind your ear.

"Looks like you slept well." You smiled, running your hands through his messy hair.

Just as you were about to kiss Jean, you heard loud shouts and angry banging on your door.

"Cadet [L/N]?" Someone shouted from outside.

You sat up and looked at Jean, concerned and confused.

"Yes?"

"We need to talk to you." The voice said, sternly.

"Is it urgent?" You asked.

"Yes."

You got up from bed and walked towards the door. Jean sat up, curious to see what was going on.

You opened the door, revealing two members of the Survey Corps. One of them happen to be Hange.

"Sorry to wake you," She apologized. "But this couldn't wait."

"What's the matter?" You asked.

Hange saluted.

"Your mother..." Hange whispered, looking glum. "was found dead this morning in Stohess."

"What?" Your eyes widened. "God, I hope I didn't hear that correctly."

"You did." Hange replied. "She was murdered by — who we figure to be — the Military Police."

Your eyes got watery. You felt your insides collapsing.

"Why?" You scatted.

"It's unsure. Investigations are being held." Hange explained. "We'll give you answers once we have them."

You stuttered. "Ok."

Hange went in to hug you. She held you tightly.

"I know. It's hard on me, too." She said, pulling away, but holding onto your arms. "We'll make the killer pay. I'll make sure of it."

You nodded. The soldiers left, and you closed the door behind them.

You slid down your door. You brought your legs near your chest and wrapped your arms around them. Jean only heard the some parts, but was well aware of the situation. You began to let your tears flow down your cheeks and sobbed.

"How could this happen?" Jean murmured.

He rushed to your side, sat down beside you and began rub your back, trying to comfort you.

"You heard that, right?" You sniffled.

"Yea." Jean muttered.

Jean wrapped his arm around your shoulder and pulled you close to his chest.

"I didn't even get to see her last week." You whispered.

Jean sighed.

"God." You sniffled.

"Do you want to do anything today?" Jean asked. "Anything I could help with? Anything?"

"Nothing." you sniffled. "I'd rather stay here."

Jean wiped a tear off your cheek.

"As you wish."