38: Memory Lane

"Jean, where are you taking me?" You asked.

"Just wait."

"You've been saying 'just wait' for a whole hour and a half! I've been blindfolded for so long I think I've forgotten what the light looks like!"

In honour of your last week, Jean decided to take you somewhere and you hadn't the slightest clue on where that somewhere was. You'd been on carriages, automobiles and on foot for an hour, but it felt more like an eternity.

Jean stopped walking and let go of you. You stood still like a figurine, worried that if you took any steps you'd trip or fall.

You felt Jean tug on your blindfold, and you began to see the light.

"Ta-da!" Jean chirped, fully removing yourself blindfold and stepping away from your view.

It took a while for your yes to adjust to the sunlight, but once they did, you couldn't believe your eyes.

"Today is about all our firsts." Jean smiled, wrapping his arm around your shoulder.

"I can't believe it." You gaped. "I forgot about this place!"

In front of you was a crystal clear pond, inside an opening in the forest. There were rocks that surrounded one half. It was the pond Marco and Jean has found on your third week of camp. It became your secret spot for that whole year, where the three of you would rendezvous after a long day of training. You vividly remembered the memories you had there. Though, one hit harder than the rest; it was that night you realized Jean and Marco weren't only fellow trainees, but were indeed your closest friends.

"Shit, Marco!" You laughed, running as fast as you could.

"I can't believe we just ran away from Shadis like that!" Marco exclaimed, coming to a halt in front of the water. You stopped next to him and caught your breath. Jean wheezed as he slowly trailed behind you.

"It's too late for this!" Jean panted.

"But it's too early to go to bed. It's only eleven o'clock!" You told him.

"Do you think Shadis will come after us?" Marco asked, climbing on top of a rock.

You followed and shook your head. "He's given up. Plus, my mother would be okay with this. I think she has more authority than he does."

The three of you sat on the rocks, close to each other. You took off your shoes and dipped your feet in the water. The boys copied you. You all breathed in and out heavily, still catching your breath from that one kilometre sprint.

The stars and moon reflected off of the pond, creating a beautiful source of light. You looked up and admired the stars. You were always a sucker for nature.

"This is so cool." Marco sighed, resting his head on your shoulder.

"Indeed it is." You replied, resting your head on top of his.

Jean scoffed at the softness that was coming off you and Marco. "Tch."

"Is there an issue? We're just taking a break after that marathon we ran!" You retorted.

"Just kiss already?" Jean spat.

You lifted your head and cocked your eyebrows. "You know what you can kiss?"

"What?"

"My ass!" You shouted, shoving him into the water.

The look on his face moments before he hit the water was priceless. You laughed like a maniac.