-38-

"I'm sorry about him," Dan says to his mom, awkwardly pulling up a chair.

"No honey, it's all right, really. He's right," She dismisses, "A-And even if he weren't I'm happy you've got a friend who will go up to bat for you, I'm glad someone has been taking care of you."

Dan smiles slightly, realizing that he really was happy that Phil stood up for him like that.

"Yeah," Dan grins, "He really is great." His mother smiles too.

"So uhm-" Dan begins. "Why be so nice all of the sudden." His mother stays quiet for a bit.

"I've been constantly drunk. After your father died I couldn't live with myself, and as you know I got drunk, and anytime I haven't been drunk all these years, I was sitting by myself, hating myself for the way I treated you." Dan stays mute, unsure what to say. He wanted to feel bad for her, but he couldn't.

"I'm so sorry Dan. Dad's death wasn't any harder on me than it was you, and I'm so sorry I let your mum leave you too." She says, crying. Dan tries to choke back tears, but he doesn't dare let them fall out.

"You should be," He says. He wanted to hug her however, he wanted to take her and love her and forgive her before she left him again, whether she lived or not. But he couldn't. 

"I love you, Dan, please let me hear about everything that's gone one that you never felt comfortable enough to talk to me about." She asks.

"Sure." Dan agrees, his voice trembling. "Well, I dropped out of University a couple of months back. Partly because um, you were coming after me...." He begins and watches as the dying face of his mother before him melts into a guilty, sympathetic expression. "And law just wasn't for me, was gonna happen anyways. So after that, Phil took me in to protect me from you and I've been living with him ever since." He says.

His mother smiles comfortably through her tears. 

"And it's been really great ever since, I've been pretty happy. I've made some really good friends." He tells her.

"What about that one boy you used to sneak out with all the time?" She asked. "Christopher was it?"

"Yeah," Dan smiles. "Chris, him and I still talk, often actually."

"I'm glad to hear."

"But not as much as Phil and I. Once I met Phil it was weird I just stopped talking to Chris and spent all my time with Phil," Dan tells her, not really understanding why she needed to hear this piece of information, he just loved talking and thinking about Phil. "He really is the most lovely person I've met in a while."

And then it happened. He went on and on about Phil for what to his mum, seemed like forever.

"You must really love that boy." She says, "I'm so glad you've found love."

"I um-" Dan squirms. "I'm not- He's not- Phil has a girlfriend."

"Oh, I'm so sorry." His mum apologizes. "It just seemed like-"

"No, it's alright." Dan cuts her off. "You should know, I am gay, but he's not, so him and I will never happen."

"So you do love him?" His mum asks.

"No, it's just-" He studders. "It's just a tiny crush, I'm not in love with him or anything."

Right? I'm not in love with him right? Dan thinks

"Yes, I'm sorry." His mum yet again apologizes, leaving an awkward silence.

"You should call him back here," She says out of nowhere. "He meant well."

"No, it's fine, I'd rather spend time with you." Dan argues.

"No really, please do it. I'd like to thank him."

"Oh alright." Dan agrees.

Phil

hey, please come back up here,im sorry for snapping on-
you like that,,,

-no it's alright i shouldn't have been so intense. i will
be there soon :)

thanks-

"He'll be here soon." Dan notifies his mother.

"Good." She smiles.

- - - - -

Dan and his mum sit in silence when a soft knock hits the door.

"Come in." Dan's croaky voice calls, he's tired. 

The door slowly opens, Phil coming through it, his very face making Dan grin.

"Hey," He says. "Uhm, Mrs. Howell, I got these for you, sorry for being so rude at first."

Phil wasn't sorry, though. He meant everything he said, but he didn't want Dan to be upset with him so he tried to give the woman a chance.

"Dan honey? Could you go get me some ice chips?" Dan's mum asks

"Of course," Dan says, grabbing a cup and running out.

His mum waits a moment to make sure he's gone before speaking up. 

"Sit." She orders, weakly patting the chair next to the bed. Reluctantly, Phil  does as told.

"I wanted to thank you for taking care of my boy." She begins. "I know I don't have the right to say that, but I mean it." She continues. She takes her hand out and Phil instinctively grabs it.

"You mean a lot to him, and I'm not gonna be around for much longer. So please take care of him some more, not that I'd be there either way. But I just want to make sure he's gonna be alright." She says choking tears back. Dan comes back just as the machines begin to beep faster and faster.

"Mom!" He yells. He pushes Phil out of the way and grabs her hand., and begins crying.

"Mom no, we missed all these years, please hold on." Dan begs.

"We need a doctor!" Phil yells out the door.

"Mom i want you to know i forgive you. I forgive you for it all, don't forget that, I love you mom." Dan cries. All of the sidden the line is flat, and a long never ending beep is replaying throughout the whole room, and Dan's mum is rushed out by some doctors, leaving Dan sitting on the chair, crying.

Phil traps him in a warm hug, Dan's sobbing over his shoulder breaking his heart more than anything in the world ever had.

---

1024 words

hey sorry i didnt update on wednesday, i was like depressed.k

anyways how are yall did you like thos chapter

bye

-lae xx

QOTD:something you havent told anyone before

AOTD: tbh nothing.. i guessive never told anyone that i showered today????

lmao u think ur slick