Perfect

When Dennis returned he was dressed in his usual black clothes and glasses, and his regular ridged posture was back.
"I want to apologise," he said, sitting next to me, "that wasn't professional of me... and it wasn't nice for you to have to deal with. I didn't mean to scare you."

"You didn't scare me, I wanted to help... I just didn't know what to do."

"Trust me, just being there was enough-having someone to talk to was a big help... There's been so many times that I've had to deal with things alone... I..." he looked deep in thought, "I'm just trying to say that I appreciate it."

I smiled warmly, glad that he was feeling better, "So what's the plan now?"

"I don't know yet. I need to talk to Patricia... I need to tell her that I don't want to be part of this anymore... she's not gonna be happy."

"She needs to know," I said firmly and he nodded, joining me on the bed.

"What if she makes me stay out of the light? I don't want to go back to that, the loneliness... and what if I never get to see you again?"

"I won't let her do that."

"What power do you have over her?"

I shrugged, "I can try."

He smiled sadly, "thank you... I... I don't think anyone's ever tried for me before..."

I couldn't help smirk at him, he was really quite sweet... I didn't want to admit that I was feeling differently about him, but after everything that had happened that night, it made me realise that he did care. He knew that what Patricia was doing was wrong, and wanted to stop having any part of it... that had to count for something, didn't it?

"What?" He frowned, noticing the smile that had crept onto my face.

"Nothing, I just think that maybe you're a better person than you give yourself credit for."

He looked at me with surprise, "you mean that? I don't think... I mean... after everything I've done..."

"Everyone makes mistakes, you're no exception."

"You're so different than everyone else," he looked down at the sheets, "it's nice."

"I don't know whether that's a good thing or not..." I trailed off, not great at taking complements.

"It's always a good thing. Don't let anyone tell you that it's wrong to be different, you understand? You are unique and that's a great thing." He watched me closely and looked away, fidgeting uncomfortably under his gaze.
"You're prefect just the way you are..." I my eyes shot to his at his sudden change of tone and he leaned towards me. I registered what he was about to do before he managed to reach my lips and I looked down awkwardly. He stopped inches away and sighed, "ah, I'm sorry. I don't know what I was thinking..." he backed off and stroked his head, "I'm all over the place today... maybe I should go and get some sleep... try and clear my head."

I glanced up once more, "I'm sorry, it's not you..."

"It's okay, I know it is. I need to sort things out before I even consider doing anything like this... I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. I don't know what came over me."

"It's okay, don't worry about me," I smiled, "it's not you, I just need a little time to think things over... the whole situations a lot to get my head around."

He smiled thinly, "of course, you don't need to explain yourself. I understand."
He stood up quickly and wrung his hands, "I should go... I don't want to-"

"You don't have to go," I interrupted, not wanting to leave it like this or have any reason to see Patricia again.

"It's okay, Patricia will be here with your food soon."

"That's what I was afraid of... I don't want to see her."

"Why? She won't do anything."

"I just don't get along with her... I can talk to you, but she doesn't listen to me like you do. She doesn't want me here, so why would she be nice to me?"

"Fair enough," he took a cloth from his pocket and polished his glasses, "So you want me to stay?"

"Yeah... if you want to."

"Of course. Let's get something to eat, I'll tell Patricia not to bother with your food later.
He went to the door and held it open for me, so I left the room and we headed to the kitchen. My mind was racing as we walked, thinking desperately for something to say that would avoid anything to do with what had just happened in my room.