Given Up

I woke up, cold and aching from falling asleep sitting up, to Hedwig noisily unbolting the door and coming in. He stood in the doorway looking miserably at me and I straightened up a bit, "what's wrong?"

"She took my mice," his bottom lip quivered, "she took my mice..."

"Oh, come and sit down with me," I patted the floor and he quickly came over and dropped by my side, burying his face in my shoulder and whimpering. I put an arm around him, already feeling sorry for him.
"What happened?"

"I told her that... I told her I wasn't giving her the light anymore, I said that she was mean and that I... I didn't want her to hurt anyone, and that I was scared of the beast... and when I fell asleep she took them... she said that she's gonna..." he started crying again and it took a moment before he could continue, "she said she's gonna feed them to the snakes... if I don't help her."

"What have you said to that?" I asked, worried that she'd found a way of bringing him round.

"Nothing, I came here... I'm angry at her."

"Are you going to help her?"

"I want them back..."

"But more people will die, Hedwig."

"But she'll feed them to the snakes..."

"She's probably lying, she'll just let them go and tell you they've been eaten."

He shook his head sadly, "I don't want her to hurt them. I gotta go."

"Please don't go."

"She wants me to clear your old room for the new girls. Mr. Dennis was supposed to do it but she said he can't come out anymore."

"You can bring him out-"

"No, I can't do that anymore. Miss Patricia will get angry."

"You know that those girls will die, do you want that?"

"No..." he looked away from me, "but I want my mice back."

"You can't do this, she's using you!"

"Don't shout it's not nice!" He yelled back, fresh tears emerging from his eyes, "Miss Patricia said they'd be back in my room when I choose to help her again, they're my pets, I want them back!" He stood abruptly and went to the door, "I don't want them dead too," he left and locked me in.

I sunk back to the floor and waited for more signs of movement outside.

Patricia, surprisingly, was next to enter a few hours later and she stood in front of me, gazing down almost with pity.
"My dear, do you really want this?"

"I don't want any of this" I replied coldly and she smiled thinly.

"Oh, I don't know about that... Dennis has told me that you're pretty close."
I didn't say anything and she nodded once, "exactly what I thought. He hadn't said anything but you've just confirmed it. Why don't we make a deal, you can go back to Hedwig's room and have your television, and your sofa to sleep on... but you can't say anything more of the beast to anyone. The visits from Hedwig and Dennis will be short if at all, any free time will be supervised by me, and no attempts to get away or stop what we are doing are to be made."

"In exchange for what?"

"Dennis' freedom."

I suddenly felt helpless and my frown deepened. How could I agree to this? I would hardly even get to see Hedwig or Dennis, the only people I have to talk to so I don't go completely crazy... but if I don't then Dennis will be back to being stuck on his own, alone and miserable.
"Can I talk to Dennis about this?"

"No."

I had to make a snap decision and agreed to her terms. Either way, she couldn't make Dennis do anything he didn't want to do. There's still a chance this could work out.

"Good. Follow me."

I went back to Hedwig's room with her and my heart sunk when I saw the tank of mice on the table. Hedwig had given up.
She half smiled when she saw the look on my face, "I take it he told you about my little snake plan?" She straightened her skirt, "dirty little creatures, I don't know why he keeps them in here. He doesn't remember to feed them half the time anyway."

"They're his pets and he loves them, it doesn't matter what you think of them."

"I suppose not. Tell me, Casey, has anyone told you about the beast? Actually told you of how powerful he is?"

"No."

Patricia grinned, "he can climb walls when there is nothing to grip, his skin is tougher than any skin I've ever seen and he can withstand harsh trauma, maybe even bullets. And he needs you girls to sustain him. You keep him powerful. So, Casey, when you next think about betraying me... think of him. Think how easily he could break you into little pieces and rip the skin from your body. And then think again about rebelling."
She stood and left me, trembling at the thought of such a monster being anywhere near me.