Today's The Day

I was relieved when Hedwig finally came to visit me hours after Patricia had left. He met me with a broad smile and I hugged him. He didn't hug back, probably a little confused, "what're you doing?"

"I was worried I'd never see you again," I let him go, "is Patricia still angry?"

"Yeah, she said that you can't go out of your room anymore so you'll just have to watch movies and stuff... we could watch one now if you want?"

"Okay," I sat back down and he dropped down next to me, picking up the remote and turning on the TV.

He smiled over at me, "Patricia said you were running away... we're you running away? Etcetera?"

"Barry was helping me get out."

"Why would you wanna leave? Don't you like us?"

"I do like you, Hedwig, but I don't like being trapped in here."

"Mr Dennis told me to tell you that he misses you... don't you miss him?"

"I miss him a lot, make sure you tell him that."

"I will... Miss Patricia said that the girls are coming today..."

"We aren't supposed to talk about that-"

"I don't want them to get hurt."

"Neither do I."

"Barry said that you need to be let go, but I don't want you to go "

"Do you know when Dennis is getting the girls?"

"Tonight. He's going tonight."

"How many?"

"Four," he sunk down into the sofa and sighed, "I'm scared. Miss Patricia is always mad at me... I don't want to be scared anymore."

"You don't have to listen to her, you know. Just say no," I said without enthusiasm, knowing he wouldn't listen. He didn't even say anything, just leaned his head on my shoulder and watched the television. After a few minutes I did the same.

Hedwig stayed with me even after the film had finished and remained quiet for a long time. When I finally tried to get up, he clutched on to my arm and looked up at me, tears already welling in his eyes, "I don't wanna give them the light."

"Then don't, they can't make you, can they?"

His lip quivered and he hid his face in his jacket, muffling his words, "Miss Patricia said the beast will come for me if I don't do what I'm told."

"He can't get you if he's part of you, can he?"

"Miss Patricia says so."

"I think she's lying to you."

He pulled his face from the jacket and looked at me again, "what if she's not?"
I shrugged and he leaned into me even more, looking for comfort that I couldn't give him.
He stayed there for a few more minutes before letting me go, "I need to go," he muttered, tears rolling down his cheeks, "Mr Dennis needs to go."

"You don't have to do this, neither of you do..."

He got up without saying anything else and walked through the door, and I felt my heart sink for the hundredth time since I was brought here.

The girls would be here soon.