Dinner

Dennis set a plate in front of me and placed various leftovers in the microwave. I sat in silence, listening to the hum as the food rotated inside, and Dennis stood uncomfortably next to me.
We both jumped at the beep that told us that the food was done and he proceeded to put the reheated food on my plate.
"Sorry there's nothing better to eat."

"It's okay, I'm not fussy," I started to eat and he sat opposite me. He didn't have any himself, just watched me as I put another fork-full in my mouth. I swallowed awkwardly, not really wanting anyone to be watching me while I ate, and he cleared his throat.

"Sorry, I don't mean to stare."

I shrugged, "I just don't like people watching me eat, that's all..."

"Oh, sorry... it's just... I don't think you realise how beautiful you are," as if realising what he'd just said, he looked away almost bashfully.
I tried not to blush and laughed it off and he gave me a sideways smirk, "I'm being serious, you should be more confident than you are. You have every reason to be."

I couldn't stop a quick smile emerging and I looked down at my lap, "I don't know about that, if I was beautiful then maybe I'd be more popular in school... maybe people would like me."

"Just because you're not popular doesn't mean you aren't special, it just means you aren't the same as them... and who wants to be some prissy girl who thinks she's above everyone else anyway? You're good as you are."

"Thanks," I had nothing to say to that and was feeling overwhelmed, "what was it like for you growing up?"

He was suddenly tight lipped and looked in another direction so I tried to encourage him to talk, "were you like me?"

"If you mean getting beat up all the time and picked on for being the way you are, then yeah," he almost snapped and I was quiet again. He sighed and closed his eyes, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to come out like that. I didn't have the best up bringing."

"It's okay, you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

He stood up, clearly unsettled by the conversation, "I think I'm gonna go for a walk, you want to take that back to your room?" He nodded at the plate and I shook my head.

"I'm pretty much done anyway, I'll leave it."

He walked me back to my room and locked me in, leaving me to sleep off the stress and uncertainty of the day.