Hangover

I woke up with blurred vision and my head feeling like it was in a vice. I groaned and rolled over to face Barry, finding the bed empty next to me.
I sat up and called out the door, "Barry?"
I jumped when I heard a noise to my right and Barry sat up from the floor.
"What are you doing down there?"

"What are you doing shouting? Do you have no soul, woman?"

"Sorry, I didn't see you there, I thought you'd gotten up."

"Oh, Bernice and Ansel are back, by the way. I guess I did something right last night..."

"Why don't you come back up here?" I smirked and he climbed carefully back onto the bed.

"Oh, I feel rough..."

"Me too. You know, that was really sweet, what you did last night."

"After everything you've done for us, that was nothing."

"Well, I just want to say thank you..."

"That's okay," he lay down, "now I'm gonna get some sleep. I feel like shit."

"Okay, I'll leave you to it," I got up and went to get some water. I also put a glass of water and some aspirin on the bedside table for Barry.

I felt ill but my stomach was rumbling, so I quickly went to the shop. I bought bacon and sausages to make a fried breakfast for Barry and I. Even if he didn't want to eat, at least he had an option and it might make his head feel a little better.

On my way back from town I saw the man from last night walking with a woman. As they got closer, he recognised me and his face grew stern. I stood on the path so that they'd have to walk near me, and then cleared my throat.
"Excuse me?" I looked at the woman and she smiled pleasantly.

"Can I help you?"

"I just thought I'd let you know that your boyfriend is homophbic."

He looked shocked and the woman laughed without humour, "he's not my boyfriend... this is the first time we've met actually," she looked up at him, "and it doesn't look like it's gone too well."
She walked away from him and he stumbled over his words, glaring back at me before walking quickly after her.

I walked away with my head held high, chuckling to myself.
I put the food on as soon as I got in and Barry wandered into the kitchen a few minutes later, "thanks for the pills, where have you been?"

"Just getting breakfast... and revenge..."

"What?" He squinted at me. I explained what had happened and he laughed, "Casey Cooke, I didn't think you had it in you!"

I laughed, "you should have seen his face... speaking of which, have you talked to Kevin today?"

"Yeah, he's better today. I explained everything and he's told me off. I said that he could have the light tomorrow and try and do a few more things to get some more of us back. Uh, Casey?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you think... that maybe Dennis hasn't formed because... I mean, he had very specific... interests... maybe..."

"If you're implying that Dennis' purpose within the group is sex then I don't believe it."

"But isn't it a possibility-"

"Stop it, I know it's not the reason he was here."

"Okay," he must have seen that I wouldn't budge, "so... who next?"

"I don't know," I admitted, "I've been thinking... You're supposed to be back at work next week, aren't you?"

"Yeah," He faced me, "so?"

"I don't think you should go back."

"What? Why?"

"Because it's likely that the beast formed because you spent so much time there... if he's given the chance to come back, all of this will be for nothing."

He looked troubled, "I see where you're coming from, but what do I do for work? They're gonna kill me if I quit..."

"We'll find something, and if you tell them that it's something to do with DID then I'm sure they wouldn't question it."

"I guess... what am I supposed to do for money?"

"We'll sort it out."

He sat back in his chair, "this is all so complicated..." He looked at me, "you better help me find a job then."

I smiled and turned back to the bacon, pleased that he'd listened to me and the beast had less of a chance to re-form.