"My Place"

After the party we waited Patiently for my guests to leave before Susan was bugging me to leave. Dennis (acting as Barry) had stayed with us, much to Susan's distaste, and she asked him if he'd like to be dropped off anywhere.
"Well, if it's okay with you, I'd like to take Casey to see my place."

Susan was tight lipped about that and asked to speak to me outside, so I rolled my eyes at Dennis and followed her out onto the pavement.
"Who is this man? And why on earth do I not know anything about him?" She hissed as soon as we were out of earshot.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you, I just didn't want it to be a big deal-"

"Well it is a big deal! How old is he anyway?"

"Why does it matter?"

"He looks old enough to be your father, Casey!"

"Maybe, but age doesn't matter. I'm old enough to make my own decisions and I'm not a stupid girl anymore. Denn-" I caught myself, "-Barry is the only person I've ever met that understands me... he listens to me, he's there for me and he loves me. You're not my mother, you can't tell me what to do."

She looked a little hurt by that and sighed, "I know, you're right... I just want you to be safe... after all you've been through, I'd have thought you'd be a little more careful-"

"I am being careful!" I snapped just as Dennis stepped outside, putting on his best Barry smile.

"Hey, if it's too much of a problem I can go."

"No, you're not going anywhere," I said firmly and he smiled thinly at Susan. He was met by a cold stare.

"So you're just giving her a key to your house now? What are your intentions with her? Huh?"

"W-what do you mean?"

"I mean, how do I know I can trust you? I have never even heard of you until today, how do I know you have good intentions?"

"I... uh..." He was clearly struggling and he put his hand on his head, his impersonation faltering, "I don't... I..." He pressed his eyes closed and suddenly Barry was standing confidently in his place.
"I'll be honest, you don't know that you can trust me. But you know why? Because you don't know me. I completely understand your concern, Casey has told me everything about her and I get that you're worried, but I promise you that I have her best intentions at heart."

Susan didn't look impressed and shook her head, "Just be back by ten," she muttered before leaving us stood outside the restaurant.

I looked at Barry who stood with his hands in his pockets, "I don't like her."

"You don't even know her," I reminded him and he shrugged.

"She doesn't have to be such a bitch, does she?" He laughed, "and Dennis clearly couldn't handle it!"

"Hey, don't make fun of him, I don't blame him for running-I would if I could!"

He snorted, "back to my previous statement; he's a big guy but he's soft."
I nudged him gently in the ribs and he chuckled, "okay, let's go to my place."

We walked for quite a while, talking about Susan and how we would go about living with the situation. Dennis Hadn't resurfaced, but I wasn't sure if that was because Barry hadn't given him the chance or if he was still worried about Susan. Either way I was enjoying spending time with Barry, I'd seen Dennis for almost two hours that day and it seemed like it was time to spend some time with my friend instead.

"Here it is," Barry smiled as we stopped outside a block of flats. It looked like a clean place but definitely not new, and I was eager to find out what the inside was like. He opened the outside door and we walked up a few flights of stairs until he stopped in front of another door.
He looked at me, "so you want to use your key?'
I felt around in my pocket and pulled out my new key, raising it up to the lock, when he lifted his hand, "Wait!"

"What?" I asked, concerned that there was something wrong.

"I'm kinda worried... I've never let anyone in here before except Doctor Fletcher... and she's..." He sighed, "I don't want you to get your hopes up, and I'm worried you'll realise that this isn't such a great place."

I smiled, "as long as I'm with you guys, I don't care where I live."

He lowered his hand and nodded, letting me know that he was ready for me to enter the privacy of his home. I put the key in the lock and slowly opened the door.

The place was spotless, I guess because he'd tidied before I'd come over, and the walls were pale blue. The ornaments and furniture all had a particular style and nothing seemed out of place. There were a few mannequins in one corner of the room where fabrics and clothes were folded-a sewing machine on a table to the left of it.
Somehow he'd made this tiny flat look welcoming and modern, even stylish, and I smiled as I gazed around.
"It's perfect, Barry."

"Now I know you're lying," he scoffed, "I know it's not much... but it keeps me safe."

"It's more than enough, it's beautiful. You've made it so comfortable."

"I guess I have, yeah."

"Is this your work?" I gestured to the clothes and he looked slightly embarrassed, his eyes darting to the floor.

"Oh, yeah... that's what I do to pass the time..."

"You'll have to make me something one day."

"I'm sure I will," He half smiled, "would you like a drink?"

"Yes please, water is good."

"Okay, please make yourself at home... I mean this is your place now, too."

I hid a smirk as he left at that thought.

"My place."