Nightmare

I ran through the door and into the corridor, almost skidding to a halt when I realised that I had no idea how to get out. I turned and opened the nearest door and saw Marcia's body, bloody and broken, laying on the floor. I gripped my head and ran away. I knew it was a dream but it all seemed so real...
I could hear something chasing me, panting and scratching as it ran, and I burst into the kitchen. I stopped and looked for something to protect myself but found nothing.
That's when I felt the breath on the back of my neck.
I swallowed dryly and turned slowly to face the thing that had been tracking me.
It was Patricia, her face filled with silent madness and covered with blood. She took a step closer and I cowered to my knees, sobbing as she got closer.
I screamed for help but no one came. All that was left was to wait for myself to wake up... or die...

My eyes snapped open and I gasped, relieved to be out of the nightmare, and Hedwig sat up next to me, "were you having a bad dream?" He asked.

"Yeah," I sighed, used to him appearing here while I slept sometimes and relieved that I wasn't alone, "have you been in here long?"

He shrugged, "a while I guess, what were you dreaming about?"

"I can't remember," I lied, not wanting to go over it again, "could you do me a favour, Hedwig?"

"Yes..." he eyed me suspiciously.

"Could you get Dennis out here for me?"

"Why?" He sulked, "I want to stay here."

"I just want to talk to him, that's all, you can come back and see me after I've talked to him?"

He looked dejected and sat upright, crossing his arms and pouting, "that's not fair, Mr. Dennis spends loads of time with you."

"I can see you afterwards, I just want to speak to him for a while, okay?"

He looked at me, deciding whether or not to let me have my way, before standing up and walking with heavy feet out of the room.
Not two minutes later, Dennis came in and sat next to me, "is everything alright? Hedwig said you wanted to see me."

I nodded, "I'm scared... I had a nightmare and I wanted someone here with me."

"Hedwig was with you."

"It's not the same... I feel a bit safer when I'm with you."

"Really?"

"Yeah..." I shuffled a little closer to him, "Sorry, the dream was awful..."

He gingerly put an arm around my shoulders and I leaned on him.
"You don't have to apologise, I'm here for you."

I looked up at him and he smiled thinly at me, "what was the dream about?"

"Her."

"Patricia?" He frowned and I nodded, "why were you dreaming about Patricia?"

"It was a bit of everything about this place, really, but she was there. I don't know, I was just scared..." I looked down and he moved a strand of hair that had fallen across my face when I moved my head. I looked up as he tucked it behind my ear, watching his expression soften. He let his fingers rest on my cheek for a moment before blinking and jerking his had away. He cleared his throat and looked away, his eyes darting around the room. I suddenly felt overcome with feelings, maybe it was the lack of real communication I'd had from anyone but Dennis since I'd been here, or maybe it was because he'd shown me that good can shine through people who had done wrong. Whatever the reason, I was filled with fondness for the man who was still holding me, and I kissed him lightly on the cheek. His eyes widened in surprise and his head snapped round to look at me with a dumbstruck expression.
I didn't do anything, just stared into his eyes and watched as the shock cleared from his face. When he's expression was nearly back to its usual stern appearance, he leaned towards me, his mouth meeting mine as I lurched forward too.
He lifted his shaking hands and brushed my hair behind my ear before holding my face softly.
I touched his fingers with mine and took his hands, bringing them down to rest between us with our fingers intertwined.
He sighed a little, his breath wavering-he was trembling slightly, and so was I-it made me wonder if he'd ever had a chance to be in this situation before if he'd always been pushed behind the others.
Our lips parted and I looked up at him sheepishly. He let go of my hands and readjusted his glasses, clearing his throat uncomfortably.
"Uh, that... that was... unexpected..."

Before he could say anything else, his face screwed up and he snatched the glasses from his face. I jumped, wondering what he was doing, and then Hedwig was suddenly grinning back at me, "I'm back, are you feeling better?"

If I'm honest, I was a little relieved that I didn't have to explain myself right now, and I smiled back, "yeah... I think I am."