What To Do

Barry was angry, and rightly so, but he said that the others were starting to give up hope. I wanted to talk to them all... but what would I say? I couldn't stop the beast anymore than they could. I just had to hope that they would keep trying for as long as possible until someone figured out what we were going to do.
Barry was sitting next to me, fretting about the news report on TV that was telling everyone about a girl who'd been attacked and killed by an animal in the street not far from here.
"They're going to find out... they'll study the body, they'll see that the teeth marks are human... they'll have the beast's saliva... they're gonna catch us..."

"Barry, stop worrying. The beast isn't stupid, he wouldn't be that obvious."

"Maybe I should hand myself in..."

"For what? A crime you didn't commit?"

"But I did, Casey... at least as far as the authorities are concerned..."

"Just stop it. We'll figure this out, okay?"

"But how many more girls have to die before we figure out how to stop him?"

"It'll be okay."

"No it won't. There's no way we can get away with this..."

"We'll think of some-"

"Casey!" He slammed his hands down on the coffee table, "Stop telling me it'll all be okay! We can't get out of this and innocent people are dying because of us! Wake up!"

I stood up, "well at least I'm trying to stay positive and think of something to do! Unlike any of you!"

"We have tried!" He shouted, standing up as well and leaning towards me, "Don't you think we've tried?!"

"I know you've tried, but you can't give up!"

Barry shrunk away once more and pinched the bridge of his nose, "I don't know what to suggest. What else can we do? Hedwig isn't cooperating and I don't have the power to take the light from him. Unless Hedwig faces the beast then we're screwed."

"Then everyone needs to talk to him-"

"We have," His eyes bored into mine, "and he's not listening."

I sat down again and sighed, "I... I want to help..."

"I know you do, honey, but there's nothing you can do now. We have to handle this on our own... I'm sorry." He sat down with me and put his hand on mine, "Dennis is right... you need to keep away. Who knows what will happen if you don't," he eyed the bump on my head.

"I don't want to leave you..."

"I know, sweetie, and I know you're there for us... but you can't risk being hurt anymore."

I nodded, defeat making me feel sick. I didn't want to go back to my old place... I'd gotten used to the idea that this would be my forever home, and that I'd be happy with them... and I didn't want Susan thinking that she'd known best.
"I-"

"It's not a request. You need to go."

I sighed and sat back on the sofa while Barry watched me, his serious expression weighing down on my shoulders like a tonne of bricks.