Kevin

We waited for hours before we were told much about Kevin and Susan had fallen asleep. They told me that he'd had a blood transfusion and that he wasn't out of the woods yet, but was stabilising.
"Can I see him?"

"He won't be awake yet. I suggest that you go home and get some rest. We have your number, if anything happens then we can call. You'll have to wait at least twelve hours before he's going to be conscious."

I nudged Susan awake and told her what the doctor had said, and she gave me a lift home. She went straight to bed but I couldn't sleep. How could I? Knowing that they were there on their own... I wondered how they felt sitting in their chairs, waiting to wake up... we're they even okay?
I lay on my side and closed my eyes, trying to get even a wink of sleep.

I got two hours of sleep before I woke up, remembering what had happened and becoming wide awake again. I wanted to see him straight away, but if the hospital hadn't called yet then that meant that he wasn't awake...
But that also meant that he was still alive, so at least that was something.

Susan agreed to let me stay home today as I was in no fit state to be going to college, so I watched TV until I got the call.
I was dreading picking up the phone and held it out in front of me for a few moments, sickeningly aware that this could be a call telling me that he hadn't made it.
I accepted the call and put the phone to my ear, "hello?"

"Hello, is that Miss Cooke?"

"Y-yes..."

"Hello, my name is Pauline, I am Kevin's doctor?"

"Yes, hi."

"Hello, Casey, I am just calling to let you know that Kevin is awake. He is in and out of consciousness, but you're quite welcome to visit today if you'd like."

I exhaled loudly, "That's great news, is he okay?"

"He's stable at the moment, but we will be keeping a very close eye on him over the next few days."

"Has he... asked for me?"

"He hasn't actually spoken since we've had him here. He's still very weak."

"Okay. I'll come and see him. Thank for letting me know."

"That's quite alright. I'll see you later then."

"Bye," I hung up and glanced towards the door where Susan stood, scanning my face for answers, "he's awake."

A smile brightened her face and she sighed, "Oh that's brilliant. Do you want me to drop you off?"

"I don't know..."

"What do you mean?"

"I've never met Kevin... I don't know what to expect... what if he doesn't like me..."

"Oh... um, I don't know. You'll have to just go and find out, won't you?" I could tell she wasn't sure what to say, still confused by the personality situation, so I waved it away.

"Yeah, I guess you're right. I'd like to go... if that's okay..."

"Of course, I'll get my keys."

We chatted about Barry as we drove and she asked about Dennis. I explained that he was the one I was seeing, not Barry, but we had to pretend I was seeing Barry so that it didn't get too complicated.
"I can understand that!" She laughed, "so how can you be with one personality? How does it work?"

"Well they are all different people, they just share a body. If you met Dennis then you would understand... him and Barry are so different."

"And what about the... female personalities..."