Does It Matter?

I couldn't take the silence anymore-it was full of sadness and thick with unease. I looked to Dennis who was sat beside me, looking off into space, and I squeezed his hand. He hesitantly looked at me and some of the seriousness went away, "Sorry to put a downer on everything, I don't usually talk about this kinda thing."

"It's okay, I like that you've told me. I get to understand you a bit more."

"I'm just worried that..."

He left the sentence hanging and I cleared my throat, "worried that what?"

"I'm worried that you might understand me more and that'll make you not want to have anything to do with me anymore."

I shrugged, "I think if our kidnapping and plan to let us be killed hasn't put me off then nothing will," it was meant as a joke but he let out a troubled sigh.

"I just want this to be over."

"It'll work out."

He smiled sadly at me, "I hope so..." I wrapped my arms around him and he hugged me back, sighing again, "you are something else."

I pulled away from his chest and stared into his eyes before kissing him softly. He didn't looked shocked like last time, but his breath caught in his throat.
"I don't know why I'm doing this... it isn't usually something I'd do."

"Does it matter?" He smiled thinly and pulled me towards him before kissing me deeply. My hands gripped his waist and held him there, keeping his body close to mine.
We parted for a second but only to take off his shirt, and then mine. I was reluctant to do that but, seeing his reassuring smile, I slipped it off. He studied my scarred chest and stomach with a mix of awe and sorrow, before leaning down to kiss the shiny marks.
He looked up at me and our lips met once more, sending my head spinning. He leaned in on me, encouraging me to lay back, and I did as I was told-slowly pulling him down with me. He put his arm next to my head to lean on then started to work my trousers down past my hips with his free hand.

I pulled back from his face, "Wait."

He let go and held his hand in the air, worried that he'd done something wrong, "sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"It's not that, I just want to make sure that Hedwig isn't going to suddenly interrupt this time..."

He chuckled, "I really hope not, I'm supposed to be looking after you for a few hours so we shouldn't have any visits... are you sure you want to do this?"

"Yeah," I smiled, surprised at how good I felt about it, "yeah I'm sure." I reached down and slipped my legs out of my trousers, musing at the look of amazement on his face. Before I knew it he had faced me again and his lips were crashing into mine. I leaned my head back against the pillow and held the back of his head, wishing that this moment would never end.