GLASS CAGE

The girl at the desk looks like she just jumped out of Vogue. She's blonde and has her hair made in a perfect bun. Her make up is spotless and her clothes must cost as much as my rent. When I move towards her she flashes a smile that feels kinda forced to me. If she's like me, it mustn't be fun having to deal with so many questions and people every day. At some point you get so tired of talking that you just prefer to put your head in the ground to shut them up as if you were an ostrich!

"Hello miss, how can I help you?" She looks at me without even blinking... How?!

"I came to see miss Emily Jones, she's waiting for me, Valeria S". She lowers her eyes to the computer and starts typing and scrolling down fast.

"Yes, indeed, miss Jones is waiting for you. Here is your pass. Floor number forty, office 17A, on your right." I grab the pass and thank her unwillingly.

I move towards the elevator when the guards nod at me to show them my pass and they sign to me to move forward while one of them is pressing the button of the elevator to open the doors. This place seems to be really secure; I feel somehow suffocated from all these guards and cameras around every corner. I rush inside the elevator and press the number. As I lean my back on the elevator wall I look my self at the mirror opposite to me. Wow at least here is the only place without a camera. Or at least not any visible ones?

I roll my eyes to the thought of people acting like robots in this huge glass skyscraper. Of course, in order for everything to work like a charm in this business worth of only a few billions everyone must be playing exactly their part without even thinking of taking a step right or left from the line the big boss has drawn for them.

I wonder how I'll be able to conform with all these rules that they have. I already find it difficult to accept the dress code. The doors of the elevator open and all I can see is people with their heads stuck inside a computer screen and others moving around like bees almost without even noticing what's going on around them. I really wonder how their CEO looks.

He must be the type we usually see in the movies. A really old rich guy that likes to be surrounded by beautiful girls. I laugh to my self for my assumption. Finally, Emily's office! I stand behind the door and hear her talk with someone but I can't listen to the other person. She's probably on the phone but I should better knock before storming inside and start acting stupid making my friend uncomfortable.

"Excuse miss Jones? May I enter?" I try to change my voice a bit to confuse Emily.

"Yes? Please come in." Emily says in a blunt voice.

She probably hasn't understand with whom she's talking. Mission accomplished! I open the door and move forward catching a glimpse of my friend with her nose inside some kind of file. I take a look around searching the room for someone else other than my friend before I put up my act.

"Hello, Miss Jones. Did you order for a call girl?" I say in a serious tone while I throw my jacket on the floor seductively.

"Ha! My little dork!" Emily jumps out of her chair and comes up to me to give a warm hug.

"I thought I should take your mind away for a bit. Everyone here looks like some kind of well programmed robot!" The disappointment in my face is easily visible.

"That's true... I really needed that! My boss is missing to a conference right now but I'll give the file to the assistant manager myself. There is a chance that he'll be interviewing you now if he has the time so you better get dressed while I'm gone".