MISERY BUSINESS

Another rainy day in the Big Apple. I let a big sigh out thinking that I must leave my bike in the garage and take a taxi to work again. I must be leaving soon if I want to get there on time. I open the window and sit on the little balcony. Some rain drops fall on my thighs and face. I close my eyes and tilt my head back. 

I take a deep breath to inhale the smell of my hot coffee mixed with the essence of the rain. I wish I could stay like this forever some times. I watch down the road, people running to their jobs, children heading to their schools, the shopkeepers open their doors inviting people in. No matter what the weather is like the roads never stop being busy until the late hours of the day.

I get back to reality when my furry friend puts his wet nose behind my arm asking to be petted. I give him a big kiss before running inside to change. I put on a black pencil skirt with a white satin shirt. I take some sticky gauze and wrap the third and fourth toes of my feet before I put on some black wedges. This is a trick my mom taught me when I had to wear heels for an important event to prevent my feet from hurting. Moms know everything! 

I check on the time and curse out loud. I barely have time to get there. I grab my bag and throw in my phone, some money and my keys. The moment I get outside of the building it starts storming. I place my bag over my head and howl at a taxi which stops a few steps further. Finally some good luck!

I thank the taxi driver and get out in one smooth move. I'm surprised I can still wear something so tight and still move. Emily's going to be thrilled when she sees me wearing something else other than jeans and boots. I take a deep breath and look at the sixty storey building. Why everything has to be so big in this city? I sigh slowly. The guards in front of the entrance smirk when they see me. They obviously still remember the coffee incident from yesterday morning. What a fiasco!

I start moving carefully towards the entrance looking at them with austerity. I raise my eyebrow and give them a tiny smirk. If they want me to be a bitch I can be a bitch. When I enter the building I pass through the lobby and the receptionist greets me almost as if she has been forced. I give her a forced smile as well. The guards in front of the elevator greet me by my surname and press the button to open the door making me look at them puzzled.

How is it possible they already know my name? I mumble good morning and rush into the elevator cabin. Has Colt already informed them about my recruitment here? I press the button to Emily's floor and lean back to the elevator wall. I must wish my friend a good day before vanishing to my cubicle the whole day. I tap my heels fast towards Emily's office, looking down to the floor avoiding all the people's indiscreet eyes. I knock three times and I get inside before she has the time to answer me.

"Good morning my lady!" I bow to her theatrically.

"Good morning honey!" Emily smiles big.

"How was your night? Did you have fun?"

"Well, I had more fun than I should have. My head hurts like a bitch!" Her eyes look really red as well. I wonder how many drinks she had with Nathan and the bimbos.

"Go place your hands under some cold water. Supposedly it helps you with head aches. Take some aspirin as well." I look at her worryingly.

"I've taken a pill already, hopefully it'll go away soon. Anyway, tell me how was your night yesterday? Ready for your first day at work?"

"We went on a ride around town for about an hour after we left. As for the work part, I'm never going to be ready for my cocky boss."

"Oh?! You get along really well with him aren't you?!" She smiles cheekily to me.