BROKEN WINGS

I woke to a thunder which seemed to have crashed incredibly near. I widened my eyes flustered while turning around to see Nathan smiling. He doesn't look rested. Was he awake the whole night? I slowly climbed up next to him and with the tip of my nose I caressed his neck. His aura is radiating so much warmth that soothes my heart. 

He slowly turns around and pulls me in his embrace as he places a delicate kiss on my forehead. How is it possible that this man is able to melt my heart with such a simple gesture when others have offered me the stars and the moon and failed to even get the littlest I could offer?

"Hey stranger." He whispers while kissing me. I can feel the words forming on my lips making me grin.

"Hey there soldier..."

"How did you sleep beautiful?"

"Very well. You seem tired?"

"Yeah I didn't get much sleep last night."

"Was I snoring?" I goggle my eyes and look at him in despair when he bursts into laughter.

"No, baby girl. You sleep really calm. I was just thinking of something and I didn't realize how time has passed." I feel that he tries to hide a frown from me but of course as an expert of bad mood I can easily notice it.

"What's wrong Nate?" I place my hand on his chest trying to feel his heartbeat.

"Nothing, really. Nothing that has changed over the years at least. It's just that I don't like how the situation between me and my brother is."

"Why don't you try to change that?"

"I can't. He holds a grudge and he won't change his mind about it."

"I have an idea! Let's take the Impala for a stroll! We have the day off today so we can go somewhere far and just freshen up that way. Maybe we'll think something together?"

"No... I can't. I have something to do today."

"Can I join you?"

"Not really. I can catch up later with you though.."

"Where do you have to go?" Another Monday... Another decline...

"Nowhere important. Just an obligation I have to deal with."

"Fine." I get up from the bed and run into the bathroom.

"Val? What happened now?" He talks to me from the other side of the door while I keep fighting an invisible enemy trying to stay rational and not overreact.

"Nothing. Just need to get ready."

"But you have the day off...?"

"No reason to stay at home. I'll just skip work another day."

"Could you please come outside? I feel weird talking to a door." I open the door furiously and look at him with crossed arms.

"Happy?" I say while I arch my eyebrows, grimacing.

"Come here baby," He wraps his arms around me but my body feels as stiff as a stone. "Ok, what's wrong?"

"You tell me. Why are you always missing on Mondays Nate? Why I can never join you? Why do you always avoid giving me a ride in the Impala? We've been dating for months and you just slip away every time I ask you!"

"You're getting paranoid baby." He rolls his eyes while throwing his arms in the air.

"Yeah, maybe. Who's Christine? What happened between you and Dante?"