Chapter 23 : Secret (비밀)

"Oppa.. Jebal. Please open the door. I really need to talk to you." I whined, softly knocking on the door. I knew he could hear me and I also knew that he would open up sooner or later.

I heard him sigh before the door swung open, revealing my brother who looked tired as fuck. Crap.

"Yah, What's wrong with your face? Are you okay? You look so damn.. Tired." I finished cautiously, observing his reaction.

"Come on in." He gestured me to follow him.

"Oppa. Waegurae? Geokjeongdwe. (I'm worried.) Did I do something wrong? Is something bothering you?"

His eyes looked cold and so empty. It was as if something had broken him so badly that he had no strength to fight anymore. As if he had lost his reason to fight.

"Sanggwan eopsseo (it doesn't matter) I'm sorry I got you worried. I'm just.. Having a hard day, that's all." He sat down on his bed.

I closed the door behind me and awkwardly stood there, playing with my fingers.

"I got your message. Who told you about.. Us?" He spoke softly.

"Saemi eonnie did. I, I don't get it though. Why did you do that?"

"Do what?" He asked, looking uninterested as he played with his phone.

"Oppa, I know you loved her, I know you still do. Why'd you leave her?" I asked, cautiously taking a step closer to his bed.

"You don't understand Maeyoung-ah. Some things are bound to happen and I only tried to make things easier for us. She won't have anything to regret about when she leaves and I won't have to be the person who was left behind with a broken heart." His voice got softer as he spoke.

"Does she know about this? Does she know that you love her and that you're doing this for her?"

"She doesn't have to know." He smiled bitterly.

It breaks my heart seeing him like this. He doesn't deserve this. He deserves love and happiness.

"Oppa. I may not be able to understand everything you're going through right now but I do know for sure that you're going to regret not telling her that you love her and letting her go."

I bit my lips, trying to stop myself from crying out loud in front of him. I dashed out of his room and ran down to the kitchen.

"Maeyoung-ah, you don't look so fine. Are you okay?" My father asked, concerned.

"I'm okay appa. Maybe it's because I just woke up. Can I go out for a walk? I need to freshen up." I reasoned.

"Sure." He said, patting my head as he walked out of the kitchen.

I drank a glass of water and stormed out of the house.

I ended up walking to the park near my house. I felt lonely so I decided to call up Siah eonnie.

"Yeoboseyo? Eonnie. Mwohae? Mind joining me in the park?" I asked, trying my best to sound joyful.

"Sure. I'll be there in.. Uh, 10 minutes?"

"Okay. I'll see you later then." I hung up, kicking a pebble while humming a song we were learning in Church.

"Jeong Maeyoung?" Someone with a deep voice called from behind, making me jerk.

I turned around to find Chanyeol sunbae standing with a guitar on his hand.

"C-chanyeol sunbae." I gasped.

"What are you doing here.. This late?" I asked.

"I came here to get some inspiration to write a song." He chuckled, raising his guitar.