Chapter 35 : Let's get this over with (우리 이제 그많하자)

"Kim So Jin."

"Eo, annyeong Maeyoung-ah. Sorry I came over without informing. I actually wanted to ask you a favor." She said, faking a sweet tone.

I rolled my eyes.

"I'm busy So Jin. I don't think I can help you with anything." I said dryly.

"Maeyoung-ah, I don't think that's the way to treat your friend." Eomma said sternly.

"Maeyoung is right. She has a lot of things to do tonight and I asked her to help me with my assignments so I don't think she'll be able to help you." Sowon oppa backed me up.

"Sowon-ah, neo ddo?" Eomma gave us stern looks.

"So Jin, I apologize for their behavior. Maybe they fought again and they're taking out their anger on you." Eomma said with an uneasy smile.

"Uh, aniyo kwhenchaseubnida eommo-nim. I'll come another time then Maeyoung-ah." She looked up at me bitterly.

"Don't bother." I murmured under my breath and faked a smile at her.

"I should have asked you before coming right?" She giggled.

I didn't respond to this.

"You should eat with us before leaving." Eomma suggested.

"Ani eomma. It's getting quite late and So Jin's parents might be worried. So Jin, you should get going." I crossed my arm, walking away.

"Jeong Maeyoung. That is no way to behav--"

"Aniyo eommo-nim. Can I talk to her in private?" I heard her cut my mother off.

"Sure, sure." I heard eomma reply.

What now?

"Maeyoung-ah, that's no way to treat a guest." I heard her coming closer.

I turned around, making sure to hit her face with a hair-flip. "Hi, there. You.." I poked her chest, "don't tell me how to behave around anyone. And hey, you shouldn't stay where you aren't welcome. You should just, you know, get out." I grabbed her arm, pulling her towards the door.

"Eomma, So Jin said she's leaving." I informed loudly, pushing her out.

"Adios." I winked, tsking her.

She looked up at me, heavily breathing as her eyes got teary.

"Jeong Maeyoung. I'll see you in school tomorrow." She hissed, turning on her heels and walking to a sleek black car parked just outside the house.

I let out a breath of relief once I saw the car pull out.

Honestly, it saddens me that I'm compelled to treat her like this. And I also know that this is not the right way, but I can't risk it.

The safety of my friends matter more than Sojin's mental health to me.

Eomma looked very angry when I entered the kitchen. "That was no way to treat a friend Maeyoung. Where did your manners go? Have I ever taught you to be like that?" She said in a low voice.

"I'm sorry. But I had--"

"You don't always have to talk back! You were wrong. And I hope you learn from your mistake." She walked out of the kitchen.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I blinked them back.

"Maeyoung-ah, it's okay. I know what you did was not wrong." Sowon oppa patted my back.