Chapter 25 : Smiling flower (웃음꽃)

"Does it hurt when I do this?" The doctor asked, slightly pressing the bruise on my stomach.

"Ahhh." I jerked back from the touch.

"Hmm. Abdominal injuries shouldn't be treated so lightly. They could be really dangerous you know. They could kill you immediately too." She informed, looking at me.

"Does she need to do ultrasound and other stuff then?" My mother inquired.

"Yes, well. I recommend you to do it now. Here, take this slip and show it to the nurse outside, she'll take you up to there." She smiled politely, handing me the piece of paper.

"Ne, khamsahabnida." I slightly bowed, following my mother outside.

The nurse led us to a big room on the fifth floor where another female doctor was sitting next to those big scary gigantic machines they use.

She showed the slip to the doctor and motioned us to go inside.

Holy holy holy. They're not going to make me use those big machines now are they? Call me paranoid but I don't want to die under those machines. What if I get crushe--

"Maeyoung-sshi?"

"Ne?" I was cut off from my thoughts.

"Please change into this." She handed me a yellowish hospital gown.

"Ne." I bowed slightly taking it from her hand.

Now, the big question is where do I change from?

"Ah, sonsaeng---" "you can go behind that door." She smiled at me as if she could read my mind.

Maybe she could.

I changed into the gown and gave my other clothes to my mother.

"Please lie down here." The doctor called out.

Phew. It's just a bed.

I climbed up and lied down on my back. She pulled her chair closer to me and lifted the gown up to my stomach making me slightly uncomfortable.

She put a cold gel on my abdomen. It felt ticklish at first but the feeling was replaced with fear when she placed a machine on my stomach.

"Please do not move. And try to hold your breath for a bit. Since you have an injury on your stomach, it might hurt just a bit but don't worry it won't harm you okay?" She smiled.

"Okay." I smiled back, looking at my mother who didn't look nervous at all.

Huh. I thought she'd be freaking out more than me. Well I guess not.

I felt the machine pressing against my flesh and swallowed the urge to scream out.

My heart was pounding so fast and hard that I could only hear my heartbeat. I could not hear the doctor or my mother.

I was panicking inside but I didn't want to show it to my mother.

"Okay, we are done." The doctor said after what seemed like forever.

"Your result might take some time. I'll send it through the nurse. You may go back now."

"Ne Khamsahabnida." My mother bowed as I got off from the bed, ready to change.

"Ah Maeyoung-sshi, I suggest you-- nevermind." She shook her head smiling.

Ookay.

I got back inside and changed into my clothes.

×××

"Please sit here for awhile. The results will be out soon." The nurse took us to the lounge where other patients and their companies along with other hospital staff were watching TV or either busy in their phones or doing their work.