A Forsaken Memory

*Ashley's POV*

"My fader?" Everleigh asks, her eyes buldging out of her sockets with shock. I nod slowly.

"Where is he?" Everleigh asks, her eyes still buldging. I sigh.

"Things didn't work out for us. He left when you were born."

Everleigh seems enthralled. "Can I see him?" she asks hopeful. I close my eyes, take a deep breath, and shake my head, tears forming in the corners of my eyes.

"I'm afraid not." I whisper, swallowing to keep from bursting into tears.

"But why not?" Everleigh asks, her innocence killing me. I quickly wipe my eyes.

"Because Everleigh!" I yell, a little harsher than intended. I quickly try to cover up my harsh tone. "just because..." I say, almost in a whisper. Everleigh looks to my parents.

"Nana, Papa, why isn't my daddy here?" She asks. My chin quivers. They stare at each other for quite a while before answering.

"Well, Ev, honey, sometimes things in life work out and are meant to be, and sometimes things don't work out and aren't meant to be. Your mommy and daddy just weren't meant to be." My mom says sadly.

"But, why not?" Everleigh asks, furrowing her brow. 'Why' is Everleigh's favorite question.

"Well, because not every thing works out. But look at it now! Your mommy and Tyler are happy together! They love each other very much and your mommy would never have learned to love him if your daddy wasn't around. Do you get it?" My dad asks. Everleigh's expression is unreadable.

"I guess so..." she says after a while.

Everleigh is extremely smart for her age and is almost a full year ahead in school, so when I explain a complicated situation to her, she usually understands. However, this is way too complicated for her little brain to comprehend.

"That's a good girl." My mom says, and kisses the top of her head. "Anyone want more dessert?" she asks, changing the subject. Key Lime Pie is my favorite, but I lost my appetite.

"Yes pwease!" Everleigh cries. I shake my head.

"Two ice cream treats is enough." I say. Everleigh looks disappointed but solemnly agrees.

Once the dessert dishes are cleared and the photo albums are put away, the four of us are gathered in the living room.

"Ever, please go change into your jammies because it's seven thirty." I say. Everleigh immediately hops up from the couch.

"Ok mommy." She says, grabbing her bag and running upstairs. My mom puts her arm around my shoulders.

"Look at that. You did good raising her you know. You taught her to love, have a big heart, stay grounded, listen, obey, and much, much more. You did that. By yourself." She says squeezing my shoulder. I smile. I did raise her, and she's an amazing little girl.

"She is pretty amazing." I say.

"She gets that from you." My dad says, his voice breaking.

"Dad, don't start crying!" I warn. My dad wipes his eyes.

"I'm sorry, it's just that I am so proud of you. After everything you've been through, and all you've done for Everleigh, it just blows my mind. I couldn't be prouder of my little girl, and I'm sorry I haven't told you, that much. My eyes sting with tears, and when I glance over to my mom I can see them brimming in her eyes too.

"Awe, dad." I say, getting all choked up. "I- I don't know what to say." I swallow. "That's the nicest thing anyone has ever told me." I finish, as single tear slides down my cheek.  I quickly brush it away with my palm when I see Everleigh coming down the stairs in her cozy pajamas.