Losing What Matters

*Ryan's POV*

"Ev, we have to go. Your mom's been in an accident." I say, still shaken up from my conversation with the police. According to officer Johnson, Ashley was T-boned on her side of the car at a four way stop by a drunk driver who was going 55 mph and didn't stop. She was taken by ambulance to the hospital and is being evaluated now. Everleigh doesn't protest or argue when she sees how scared and close to tears I am. I pick her up and run to the car, discarding Everleigh's bike.

"Wait daddy, my bike!" Everleigh cries, trying to wiggle free of my grasp.

"Not now Everleigh, we'll get it later." I say, my voice quivering. Everleigh stops crying and sits silently, much to my relief. I need some time to process everything.

I drive away, the park becoming more and more distant until it disappears completely. I reach for my phone and frantically search for someone to call. My finger lands on Troian's number and I dial it without a second thought. Please pick up! I think aloud, and luckily after the second or third ring, she picks up.

"Hello?"

"Hey Troian, it's Ryan." I say, holding back the urge to cry for Everleigh's sake.

"Ryan, what's going on?" Troian's voice is panicked, and I know she can sense the worry in my voice.

"It's Ashley, she's been in an accident and she um, she's been taken to the hospital. I need someone to watch Ev while I visit her and-" my voice trails off, and I brush a few tears off my cheek.

"Oh my god, I'll be right there." Troian gasps and hangs up the phone before I have a chance to say anything else.

***

As soon as I pull into the hospital parking lot, Troian is already there, and judging by her puffy red eyes, I can tell she's been crying.

"Oh my god." She says again, throwing her hand over her mouth and embracing me in a hug.

"We need to stay strong, ok?" I say, pulling Troian away from me. "We need to stay strong, because Everleigh needs to stay ok. I don't want her to worry. I want her to stay the happy little girl we all know her to be for as long as possible."

"I know." Troian says nodding solemnly. "I promise you that I am going to give that little girl the best few days of her entire life."

"Thanks." I say, smiling sadly.

"Daddy, Twoian, I wanna come out!" Everleigh calls from the car. I was so caught up in the moment that I completely forgot about her. I quickly unbuckle her and hand her over to Troian.

"You're gonna go stay with Troian for a bit ok princess?" I say, kissing her soft head. Everleigh looks concerned.

"Ok daddy, what's wrong?"

"Your mommy needs someone right now so your daddy needs to stay with her, but we're gonna have such a great time together, ok?" Troian gently brushes a stray hair away from Everleigh's face.

"Ok." Ev nods, but I can tell she's unsure of everything. Troian buckles Everleigh into the backseat and hands her her phone. Then she shuts the door, blocking me from any view of Everleigh. Troian moves around to the front of her car, and is about to get in when I stop her.

"Troian,"

"yeah?"

"I'm scared. I don't want to lose her." I say, tears beginning to fall down my cheeks. Troian wipes her eyes.

"Me too." She says, and gives me one more hug. I hold her for as long as she wants, wanting to stay in the moment. Despite the usual warm LA weather, a chill runs through me and I cross my arms to trap my body heat. Once we finally pull away from each other, Troian gives me a hopeful smile, gets into her car, and drives away.