You're The One That I Want

*Tyler's POV*

I bolt upright, still panting heavily from the restless nap I've suffered. I glance outside and see that the sun is still high in the sky, and only a few hours have passed since I vaguely recall climbing into bed for a quick power nap. I suddenly become extremely worried when I feel the full ache of pain in my left hand. I scramble under the covers trying to feel for my hand. Once I do, I let out a sigh of relief when I realize that it's still attached to my body and no bandages surround it. I glance at my bedside table. The engagement ring is still there and perfectly intact. I let out a long breath that I didn't realize I was holding.

It was all a bad dream...

I've had nightmares before, but no where near as bad as this one. I touch my cheek and feel a single tear roll down it. The thought of losing Ashley, even if it was just a bad dream is something that I can't cope with. I let my tears fall freely and cling onto the engagement ring box like my life depends on it, because in an odd sort of way, it does. To be honest, I'm not really sure why I'm crying. It's probably out of relief that it was all a dream. Or maybe it's because I'm suddenly scared out of my mind to propose tonight, with the worst possible case scenario still fresh in my mind. I shudder when I replay the events of the night mare in chronological order.

The horse head on the wall, the girl with the pink hair, the report, the accident in the bathroom, the conversation with Marlene, the sound of a plane taking off; it all seems too real. Every little detail makes me want to scream just thinking about them. How could something so unrealistic feel so real?

I reach for my phone, suddenly rigid with fear that Ashley changed her mind within the few hours I was asleep. Even though it was only a few short hours, it felt like an eternity of never ending pain and darkness for me. I'm being one hundred percent honest when I say I'm going to need therapy for all the trauma I experienced in that dream, or rather night terror, of mine.

When I glance down at my phone screen, I am overjoyed to see that that the only message I have from Ashley says,

For the millionth time in five minutes, I let out an exasperated sigh of relief. I've let her walk out on me twice now, and I am NOT letting that happen again. This is my one and only chance to fix things, and I'm going to do it right this time.

***
Minutes passed like hours waiting for Ashley to arrive. As it gets later and later and Ashley still hasn't show up, I start to break into a nervous sweat. I scan my surroundings; no crazy fan with pink hair and a whacky tattoo. I sigh. Maybe I'm over thinking this. There's probably a perfectly good explanation for why she's running late. I fix my eyes on the fountain bubbling over with excitement, and try to steer my mind away from all the 'what ifs.'