A Merry Little Christmas

Christmas morning
*Ashley's POV*

"Mommy, mommy wake up!" I hear a faint voice whispering my name and I feel small hands gently shaking me awake. I force myself to crack my eyes open and find Everleigh sitting on top of me in her gingerbread and candy cane pajamas.

"Mommy, wake up! Santa came!" Everleigh smiles excitedly. I smile too and brush her soft hair out of her eyes.

"Merry Christmas angel." I say, placing a kiss on her head.

"Merry Quistmas Mommy!" Everleigh replies.

"Should we go see if Santa came?" I ask, throwing back the bed spread. Everleigh replies with an enthusiastic squeal and soon we are racing down the stairs two at a time. Sure enough, as soon as we run into the living room, our glittering Christmas tree stands in the center of the room with a pile of gifts wrapped in shiny red and green paper tucked underneath.

"Wow, are doze all for me?" Everleigh asks, wide eyed with excitement.

"I don't know, you better go check." I say, pointing under the tree. Everleigh doesn't need another reminder, she's already got her head under the tree.

"They are!" She shouts enthusiastically, jumping up and down and clutching a package to her chest.

"Well, you must have been a really good girl this year!" I assure her. She smiles proudly.

"Can I pwease open dem pwease?" Everleigh asks with pleading eyes. I chuckle.

"Ok. Go for it!"

Everleigh tears the wrapping paper off faster than I thought her little hands could move! And soon our living room is filled with wrapping paper and newly packaged toys.

"I love all of dem!" Everleigh exclaims. "Sank you Santa!" She hugs the box containing a Baby Alive doll.

"Mommy, may you pwease open dis for me?" She asks sweetly. I chuckle.

"Of course princess! Merry Christmas!"

"Merry Christmas mommy!" Everleigh says, and the two of us begin working together to open the doll.

"Should we make our annual snowman pancakes?" I ask, once Ev's doll was opened, along with three other toys.

"Yeah!"

Ever since I was a little girl, my dad would always make pancakes shaped like snowmen on Christmas morning. Now that I have Ev, we can carry on that tradition.

Ev and I hum to Christmas music while we wisk and flip the pancakes. Ev runs to the cabinet and carries two christmas plates to the kitchen table. I set a steamy pancake on each along with some jello fruit salad, and some hot chocolate with little marshmallows and whipped cream.

"what about the candy canes?" Everleigh asks.

"Oh right! I totally forgot!" I stand up from the table and go over to the cupboard, grabbing two candy cane stir sticks.

"There, now we have everything." I say, placing a candy cane stick in each of our mugs.

"Cheers." I say, rasing my mug. Everleigh does the same and our mugs clink. Then we each take a sip. Everleigh smiles at me with a film of chocolate on her upper lip. We both burst out laughing. God, how I love her.

***

"Come on Ev, we don't want to be late!" I say, slipping into my black stilettos, and swinging my gold purse over my shoulder.

"I'm coming!" She says, bounding into the mud room.

Every Christmas we go over to my parents house to celebrate. Only this year, Ryan and Tyler are coming as well. I'm kind of nervous because this is the first time that my parents have seen him since we broke up. They still have a lot of hatred towards him, my dad especially. I'm just hoping everything runs smoothly.