Chapter 40

"So what are you gonna do?"

"I don't know. I talked to Carol and Susanne, and they agreed to help me figure everything out. We had a long conversation last night, and I came to the realization that I want to do something with people," I said into the phone. Carter and I had been talking about this for a little while now. Ever since the tragic dinner with his family, I had started to think about college. I needed to apply right now, but I didn't know which school to chose.

"Like a therapist?"

"Wouldn't that be a little too ironic?" I laughed into the phone. He chuckled too.

"Yeah I guess it would. Though you could probably sell a lot of books with that story. Former anorexic now helping people like herself in need. It does have a ring to it, don't it?" I burst out laughing. It sure did.

"Yeah no, that's not happening. I was thinking about nursing. That was my mother's job. I always admired her for it." I said timidly. She would sometimes bring me along on her workdays and I was always spelled bound.

"A sexy nurse, I could roll with that," he said with a corky voice.

"Yes, sexy, single nurse, it sure does sound appealing, don't you think?" he shut up immediately by that.

"Hey, Em?"

"Yeah?"

"Since you can learn to nurse at a whole bunch of schools, do you think you could apply to one in the state of Pennsylvania?" a smile spread widely on my lips.

"Mm, maybe, why?" I asked in a teasing tone.

"Well, I know a guy there who I think would really like you," he said. I couldn't help the laugh.

"But to answer your question I think you're asking, yes, I would like to apply to a college close to yours so we can be together." That I could say those words without erupting to a million giggles and smiley faces was incredible.

"Cool, you know I would be bummed if we broke up," he laughed into the phone. I rolled my eyes but decided to play along.

"I don't know. College bonfires, heavy drinking, cute college boys. I think I would have a great time at college while being single. You know me, I'm always ready to mingle." I couldn't even sound the slightest bit convincing. My lies were shining right through.

"Yeah, you sound so convincing. I, on the other hand, would get all the girls, get all the girls, and then after I get straight A's I would get all the girls."

"Oh, my God, you sound like the biggest douchebag. We're breaking up this instant." The largest grin could be found on my lips. He scoffed over the phone.

"Please, you would miss my body."

"You're right, and only that." The truth was, even just talking about Carter getting all the girls made me sad and jealous. Since it was the truth. We might be going close to each other, but he was still a guy with a great face and body, many girls would be all over him. It terrified me. Would he be able to turn every single one of them down? Many would probably be way prettier than me. Way hotter. Way less complicated than me with way fewer problems to attend to.

"You're a funny one, aren't you? But Em?"

"Yeah?"

"I was wondering about something. And I don't know if I should ask this since I don't want you to feel stressed, but when are you starting school again?" my stomach dropped just by the mentioning of school. Seeing everyone again. I hadn't seen them in a very, very long time. Like months. Would everyone be asking questions? Would they think of me as even weirder now?