Chapter 22

Song: Dancing On My Own By Calum Scott

By far the longest chapter I have ever written. 8 pages... Damn

Wednesday

"Good morning." I opened my eyes and looked into Carter's brown ones. A smile spread upon my lips and I closed my eyes again.

"Good morning," I said back. Somehow we had gotten under the covers during the night. I felt so warm and protected under the heavy comforter. Or maybe that was just because it was Carter's comforter. With Carter under it.

"Do we need to go to school today?"

I opened my eyes again and saw Carter's begging eyes. "Yes, we do. We need to get smart, besides, I don't like to skip. I don't know what went over me yesterday." Carter smirked and sent a wink.

"Carter, stop it," I said and slapped his arm. Something I had made a habit of during. He was still smirking and I rolled my eyes. He could be so annoying.

"What time is it?" I asked him. He reached for his phone and pushed the start button.

"5:30, we went to bed pretty... Uhm early yesterday," he said and laughed. Oh my God, he was so immature.

"Yes, we did. Can I maybe borrow your shower? If it's okay," I said. I didn't want to push the limit. I knew Carter, but we weren't that close. Were we?

"Yes, of course, you know where it is." I nodded and got up from the bed.

"Hey, Em-" I stopped and looked to Carter. "Want me to join?"

"Uh, no," I scoffed and went inside the bathroom.

"Just checking!" Carter yelled from the other side. I rolled my eyes. He was insane.

I searched the cabinets for a towel, to my luck, it was pretty organized so it wasn't too hard. I stripped my clothes and looked at my body in the mirror. I was skinny, not skinny enough, but skinny. My ribs were showing. So were my hipbones. Shoulder bones. Collar bones. Spine. Pretty much every bone I had, you could see.

What did Carter see in me? I could imagine he usually got with much hotter and prettier girls than me. With nice curves and killer abs.

"I don't hear the water running," Carter said from the other side of the door. I quickly wrapped the towel around me.

"Uh, yeah, I cant.... Uhm I cant turn it on," I lied. Did he know I was looking at myself?

"Do you need help?"

I looked around frustrated. "Uhm, no, think I got, thanks." I turned on the handle. I left the towel on the ground and stepped in. I quickly soaped myself and washed my body. I was too lazy to wash my hair, and I didn't want to be forever in the shower. In less than 5 minutes I was out.

I turned off the cold water and twisted the handle to the warm side. I dried my body with the towel. I wrapped it around me and looked for my bag.

Shit. I forgot all of my stuff. My duffle bag. I sighed and mentally rolled my eyes at myself. Why was I such and idiot?

"Carter, I'm sorry, but I forgot my bag," I said and stepped out of the bathroom. Carter looked up from his phone on his bed. His eyes widened and his face went a shade paler.

"What?" I said. He shook his head, but he didn't seem to be able to get out of his thoughts.

"You're so... I have never seen you without... You're usually in your big sweatshirts. You're so... Er, I'm sorry, but skinny," he stuttered. I looked down my body. He could only see my shoulders and from the knee down. How could he say I was skinny if he didn't even saw my body?