Chapter 42

"Uhm Carter?" I asked from his bed. He was looking into his phone. His eyes found mine and he nodded. "Carol is asking you to join dinner tonight. Would you be up for that?" he seemed to think about it.

"Sure. Do you want me there?"

"Well, you know I don't need you to impress them like I need to impress you parents." He chuckled at that. " But I do still have one bound half a year with them, so I guess it would help if they liked you and knew you better. I mean they do like you, but you know what I mean," I said truthfully. I hoped he knew he didn't have to impress them. Them not being my family were something I kept close to my heart, because they really weren't and they would never be.

"I know how you feel, but yes, I would like to join you guys for dinner," he said and looked back at his phone.

"Okay, it's settled then," I said.

"Yes, it is," he said grabbed my foot. I shrugged his hand of it.

"Come up here," I said. He closed his phone and crawled from the foot of the bed up to me. He then lied his head over my chest and opened his phone again. I was looking at my phone with my one hand and my other was stroking his hair.

***

"Yeah well, that's how I met her. She was my best friend for years. Though for the largest part of that time, I was a complete airhead. I swear you wouldn't have liked me," I laughed and took a zip of my cup of tea. Carter was currently showering and I was sitting on the countertop in the bathroom, sharing the story of how Lea and I met. I was still only dressed in his t-shirt and nothing else, since we had spent the entire day in his bed.

"I don't believe that," Carter argued and turned off the water. His wet arm reached out from the shower and took a towel. Thankfully the glass door was tinted and I couldn't see his wet, naked body. Or else, I would've probably joined him a while ago.

"Trust me, you wouldn't. Would you like Ashley if she was nicer?" he was silent for a little while.

"No, probably not, she's too loud and attention seeking, you know?" I chuckled at that. That was a pretty good description of me a little over a year ago.

"Well, that was me during that time. Though I was nice, as I said." I didn't like comparing myself with Ashley, but we truly were alike at that time.

"I could never imagine you like that," Carter chuckled and left the shower. His towel was sitting dangerously low on his slim waist and I could see the hairy line from his belly button going down south. Though I couldn't see the spot it ended. Not that I wouldn't like to right now.

"Em, stop looking at me like that," he said and started to apply shaving cream over his cheeks.

"But you're so good looking, how can I not," I whined. He splashed some water over my feet and I squealed and drew them to me.

"Stop, we have to go soon, we don't have time for all of that," he said and started shaving his cheeks and jaw. I looked at him in admiration. It was entertaining to look at him shave. I remembered doing the same with my father.

"You're right, I guess. Though you're the only one who has to get ready, I already am. Like I told you earlier, you don't have to make such a big deal out of it, they're my foster home, not the president," I joked. He washed his face and dried it off.

"Well, I'm not dating the president's daughter, I'm dating you. And therefor, I have to make a good impression," he argued. I rolled my eyes.

"No, you don't. I will be out in under a year, hopefully." He took a step to his side so he was standing in front of me.

"Still, you'll probably still have contact with them, don't you think? I know you'll have mandatory check ups until you're 21, so they wont be completely out of your life when you move out." I snaked my arms around his neck, spread my legs, and pulled him closer.