Chapter 23

Song: Stay by Rihanna (I love this song)

Thursday.

"Are you ready?" Carter asked me when I reached his car. I nodded and got in the car.

"Are we sleeping at mine today?" Carter asked and turned the car on. He drove out of the school parking lot.

"I don't think I can ask Carol again, they'll get suspicious," I said. It was true. They would think something was going on.

"Then we'll sleep at your place, I can be sneaky," he said. I nodded, knowing he wouldn't budge. 

"Suspicious of what?" Carter laughed. I shrugged.

"Either me sleeping another place so I could avoid eating-" the mood suddenly got a little tense. Carter looked at me with a serious face. "Or because I have a boyfriend. We're not aloud to sleep at boyfriends' houses, or have them sleep over. It's this pregnancy policy I guess." I said. Carter looked to me again. This time with a smile.

"Then what have you been telling them?" he asked with a grin. My stomach dropped and I felt lightheaded. Did he just say that?

"Uhm that I was sleeping over at a friend's house. Isn't that the truth?"

"I don't know. You sure are close with your friends then."

"What?" I was not following where he was going right now.

"You know, kissing, touching, undressing, sleeping with. I mean if that's your thing, fine. I just tend to not do those things with my friends," he said with a laugh. My eyes widened and I felt so embarrassed. For what he had just said, but also for what he was hinting at.

"I don't do that, but what would you say we were?" I needed to know his thoughts. He looked at me and smiled. I couldn't help but to smile back.

"I don't know. Friends with benefits?"

"Carter!" I yelled. "That's not funny!" He laughed and I rolled my eyes.

"Well, we can be whatever you want to be," he said with a serious tone again. I blushed at what he had said. This was going a way different direction than what I would have thought.

"I don't know what I want us to be, what do you want?" he gave me a look that said 'come on'.

"You know what I want."

"I really don't," I said with a breath.

"I think you do," he said. Why was he being like this? It was annoying.

"Just tell me," I said frustrated.

"Emily, I want us to-" he rubbed his neck. Was he nervous? Why would he be nervous? It sounded like we wanted the same thing.

"We don't have to put a label on it, how about that?" I asked. He sighed relieved and nodded.

"That sounds perfect." He pulled in and stopped the car when we reached my house. We had parked a little up the street, so nobody would see us from the house.

"Perfect," I repeated. I looked at Carter, whom was already staring at me.

"Perfect," he repeated and looked me deep in the eyes. I smiled and looked away. Carter's hand pulled my face to him again.

"What?" I asked. He looked at me with a smile.

"Nothing, just looking," he said. I rolled my eyes at his cheesiness.

"Did you just roll your eyes at me?" I nodded. Carter's jaw dropped and he shook his head.

"How mean."