Fix You.

When you try your best, but you don't succeed
When you get what you want, but not what you need
When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse
And the tears come streaming down your face
When you lose something you can't replace
When you love someone, but it goes to waste
Could it be worse?

       You sat on your couch, your head leaning back against the material as you sang along to the lyrics, staring at the ceiling. Of course it could be worse. It'd been nine months since Rick disappeared. You didn't know what to do with yourself anymore. Your funds were dwindling as you had yet to send another invention to the government for cash. 
        There was no replacing Rick, not with anybody else, and certainly not with yourself. You never did get what you wanted, and you did try your damnedest. But you still felt like it all went to waste as you sat there, unmoving, your chest rising and falling slowly as you continued to sing along.

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

       "Come home, boss." You sniffed. You would do anything to help him, anything to fix him. If only he would just return to you. You'd give an arm and a leg, make a stupid FMA joke, anything to see him smile at you again.

And high up above or down below
When you're too in love to let it go
But if you never try you'll never know
Just what you're worth

       You were done trying to stay alive, done trying to prove you could be strong. Summer and Beth were convinced you were fine today, neither of them stopping by. You simply sat on your couch, not eating, not sleeping. You were doing poorly.

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

       You began to cry, the tears streaming down your face in rapid falls. Gravity was pulling them quickly down as they landed wherever they may. 

Tears stream down your face
When you lose something you cannot replace
Tears stream down your face and I
I promise you I will learn from my mistakes
Tears stream down your face and I

       You felt like you couldn't breathe, feeling as though the lyrics were speaking directly to you. You mumbled along, your voice shaking. You wished Rick would show up, tell you how sorry he was, and never let you go. You just wanted him to show up and never leave again.

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

       You were struggling to breathe now, the force of your sobs pulling too much from you. The days were passing so slowly, time dragging by. You no longer went anywhere, did anything.

        But that was exactly what you needed.

        With a grunt, you pushed yourself off the couch and turned your phone off, slipping into your shoes and running outside. You dried your face quickly and shoved your phone into your pocket.

       You were wearing a simple pair of pajama bottoms, the hot July heat beating down on your shoulders. You remembered how Rick had gone with you to the beach on a day similar to this and gave a sad smile as you ran down the streets, your lungs burning with the hot air being sucked into them. 

        When you made it to the Smith's house, you were dripping sweat, bending over and breathing harshly as you tried to catch your breath. You made your way into their house, not even bothering to say hello to Summer watching tv on the couch, and ran to the garage. You walked over to the cruiser and pulled the garage key from round your neck. "Please work."

       Trust Rick to use the same key for his ship as he does his garage.

       You gave a triumphant shout of joy as you waited for the garage door to open, gripping the steering wheel and taking off into the sky. You accelerated rapidly, not caring anymore as you broke through the atmosphere and sat in space. 

       As you drove around aimlessly, you reminded yourself not to wander too far. You still didn't know your way around space. But then you remembered the ships autopilot feature.

        "Lost in Space, featuring me." You gave a lighthearted laugh and sped off into the black abyss, expertly avoiding asteroids and space junk. "I wonder if that's the same piece of fence as before." You watched a chunk from a white picket fence float past as you sped on, losing yourself in the vast expanse of space and stars.

        You drove around for hours before deciding to head home. "Ship, take me home, please."

       "Returning." You sat back, content, as you drifted to sleep, allowing the ship to guide you safely back home.