You Scared Me.

Turning your head to investigate the sound, you found a figure standing in the doorway, light barely seeping in from behind them. Something lay at their feet, having fallen from their hands as they stepped slowly towards you. 

       "(Y-Y/N).." They moved closer, their voice trembling. "You're a-awake." They confirmed, as though saying it meant it was valid. You stared up at them, confused. It was still too dark for you to see who it was. 

       Another head popped into the room and pushed the door open further, "Dad? I heard something f-" The light illuminated their face, and you could see Beth gaping, as though she'd seen a ghost. She pushed the door open fully and took a small step forward. 

       You gave her a confused glance, your hand still resting on your bandages, before glancing up at the first individual. Your eyes widened when you saw Rick, tears in his eyes and looking as though he hadn't slept in who knows how long. 

       You felt tears well in your own eyes when you realized he was there, that he was back. The droplets fell down your cheeks and landed on the blanket softly beneath you. 

       Beth moved to the edge of the bed, and you realized you were in Rick's room. "(Y/N)," Beth said softly. There was no context, just your name, as though it made her feel better, as though it were meant to comfort you.

       You heard gasps from the doorway and found the other three idiots peering in, curiosity in their expressions turning rapidly to surprise. You found yourself surrounded by the entire family as questions reeled through your mind. It was almost like they clogged up your ability to speak as you found you couldn't bring words up. 

       Beth pulled you into a hug, soothing you as a mother would her own child as you continued to cry. She held you gently, obviously not wanting to mess up your bandages, and rubbed your back, rocking slightly. You held your arms to your chest as she cradled you, humming softly. 

       You looked up to see sorrow an apparent feature on the remaining faces. Rick's expression held the most guilt you'd ever seen in a man's face before. You gave him an apologetic glance as you slowly slipped from Beth's grip.

       She cleared her throat and stood, wiping her eyes. "D-Dad, why... why don't you change those, and we'll see how he, um.. how he feels in a minute." Slowly, Rick nodded and the rest of the family stepped out as he retrieved the objects he'd dropped, gaining your attention earlier. 

       Neither of you said a word as he unraveled the bandages around you, prodding lightly. You looked down to see a rapidly closing wound in your torso, staring curiously as Rick rubbed something cold on it. You sucked in a sharp breath and shivered, bringing a light, sad chuckle from Rick. He wrapped you back up and tossed the old bandages into a nearby garbage bin.

        Slowly, he sat on the edge of the bed and stared down at the floor, a frown tugging at his features. He sat there, in that position, for the longest time, in silence.

       Moving slowly, as though you were afraid to break him, you wrapped your arms around him, pulling him onto the bed and laying him down. You rolled on top of him and laid back on his chest, feeling him shake slightly. You looked up to see his eyes closed as he cried. 

       Your voice was soft when you spoke, tired, "The cuddle bug says you can't cry, or he'll cry too." Rick brought his arms around you as he tried to calm down with a light chuckle. "Th-The crank-ass says he can't he-help it."

       You pushed your arms beneath Rick in the same way you always did, feeling him calm down and rub your back lightly, above the bandages. Your abdomen felt pinched slightly as you laid there, but you didn't care. Two damn years was too much.

        "Remember... Remember when you said you didn't have to worry about breaking yourself constantly, because you had... you had a doctor like me? That you were pretty sure I could pull you back from the brink of death?"

       You nodded against his chest, listening to the wonderful sound of his heartbeat. "Well, kid, I pulled you from more than that. You were dead, for the longest time, right in front of me." You froze slightly, taking in the fact that you had been, in all reality, dead. 

       "I always said I would die for you." You stated softly. "Ask Summer." Rick gave a soft chuckle as he pulled one hand up and wiped his eyes, "You didn't have to do that, kid."

       You looked up at him, disagreeing, "No, I did. It wasn't the same without you. Everybody got used to it, but I was so... pissed. They forgot about you. I couldn't. I tried to, I tried to do what you said, but I couldn't. You were gone for so long I know my way around space now. I took the cruiser out a lot, got lost. Thank God for autopilot." 

       "I was looking at her mileage. I think I know," Rick whispered. You laughed softly, laying your head back down on him.

       "I missed you, boss."

       "I missed you, too, kid."