What?

You stood there, your eyes squeezed shut as tight as they would go, your body trembling as you pursed your lips. You shook with nerves, embarrassment, and fear. "God," you whispered, "I feel like a Chihuahua." You continued fidgeting with your shirt until you managed to pry your eyes open, breathing shakily as anxious tears threatened to spill over. 

       You found Rick staring wide-eyed, dead ahead, like he was trying to process this but it wasn't going well. You trembled with the fear of what might happen. Would he walk out? Would he yell at you? Maybe he'd say he felt the same? The possibilities were endless, the butterflies in your stomach hosting a NASCAR race. 

       Rick's eyes slowly fell onto you as you continuously pursed your lips, tugging your shirt like a child. There was an unreadable expression in his eyes. "I need to step outside." You walked to the sliding doors, slowly walking into the backyard. 

       The cold air seemed to calm you down as you took in deep, even breaths, the trembling slowly subsiding. "Ay, Chihuahua," you whispered. Though you had calmed down, the anxious tears from before spilled over. You laughed lightly, wiping your eyes. There was a light snow falling now and you were acutely aware of your lack of shoes. You walked a few steps out from the door, wandering through the yard as you looked up. 

       You felt stupid for what you did, wondering what he would say once you finally managed to go back inside. You released a shaky breath before looking at the ground momentarily. 

       "You said this was the most romantic setting." You jumped slightly. Turning around, you saw Rick walking towards you. You nodded, laughing awkwardly. You peered back up at the sky, watching the snowflakes continuously falling. You looked back down to find Rick staring at you. 

       You let out a sharp breath, chuckling momentarily before you turned back around and took a few steps forward, watching the snow fall around you. 

       As you continued staring at the ever-so-white snowflakes hitting the ground, peering up to see them dance down from the sky, you were enveloped in a hug from behind. You jumped momentarily before you continued watching the snowfall, your heart hammering in your chest from the proximity. 

        "Why are you so scared?" Rick questioned. You hadn't realized you were trembling, and it wasn't from the cold air. You sighed, pulling away from Rick.

       You stared at the ground as you continued to walk, shoving your hands in your pockets. "I feel stupid. You didn't even reply. That's why I never bother with that stupid word." You wandered the backyard, your feet only the smallest bit cold. 

       "Did you mean it?" You looked over at Rick, finding a look of honest curiosity. You shrugged, "Yea. You only say it when you mean it, right?" Rick shook his head and smiled softly. You continued walking around until you made your way back to Rick. 

       "Would it make up for disappearing for two years if.. if I said it, too?" Rick spoke softly, standing near you. You turned to face him, eyes wide. "What?"

       "I'm in love with you, too."

       You stared with wide eyes, watching the smallest smile crack on his lips. You felt your heart swell, the anxious fluttering in your stomach only increasing as you realized you had been right, that day when you couldn't help but wonder. 

       You grinned, "I think it would make up for a little bit." Rick smiled, the sparkle in his eyes brighter than ever. "It's back," you laughed softly. Rick laughed, his grin never fading.

        You stood in that same spot forever, neither of you knowing what to do at this point. The air was silent, but neither of you could stop smiling. The moment was too perfect to be ruined as you watched the snow fall softly around him, seeing it dance in his hair and on his lab coat. 

       All you need is twenty seconds of insane courage, just literally twenty seconds of embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it.

       And that's what you had. In the first five seconds, you moved closer to Rick. In five more seconds you slowly stood in front of him. All it took, in the remaining ten seconds of bravery you had, was that big, goofy grin of his. In those last few seconds, you threw your arms over his neck and smiled as he placed his  hands on your waist, finally closing the space between you.

       And in that moment, you could believe this was real. As he cradled your form so tenderly, holding you close in a way that promised he would never let you go, as he kissed you ever so gently, showing you the love and tenderness you thought you'd never see again, you knew it was real. You knew he loved you, and you could finally admit you loved him. As he pulled away ever so slowly, savoring the last moment of the kiss as he moved back, you smiled, feeling complete again. The smile he gave you said everything you needed to know. He felt the same. And it was blissful.

       "I promise you this," Rick's voice was soft and comforting. "No matter who comes into your life, I'll love you more than any of them, way more than all of them combined."