Exit Music.

Almost two years had passed since Rick was gone. Winter is coming, meaning it wouldn't be long now. Two years had gone by slowly, though time was falling back into its regular routine. You knew it would hurt like a motherfucker when you woke in a month to remember why you were filled with dread. You were ready for it, though. 

Wake.. from your sleep
The drying of your tears
Today we escape, we escape

       When you woke from your sleep, reluctantly waving goodbye to the literal Rick of your dreams, you were filled with sudden realization. You really were worse off. This moment could only remind you of the time Rick had stopped by and felt your forehead, only to mention that you really were worse than before. That was only minimally true here. You were slightly better than you had been before. You were working to improve yourself, sleeping less. You'd even made a few more bucks with a new invention.

Pack.. and get dressed
Before your father hears us
Before all hell breaks loose

       Groaning, you sat up from your mattress, the cold air making you shiver. You knew you had to face the day, even if all you did was get dressed, eat, and do a little research. You knew it was better than lying in bed all day, crying your heart out.

Breathe, keep breathing
Don't lose your nerve
Breathe, keep breathing
I can't do this alone

       The first time you'd tried to stay awake longer than two hours, you almost had a meltdown, freaking out and going back to bed. But now, as you focused on your main goal, you were dead-set on fixing yourself.

Sing.. us a song
A song to keep us warm
There's such a chill, such a chill

       It was especially mornings like these that you would miss waking up to Rick's extraordinary body heat, keeping you toasty through the chilled mornings as you refused to move from him until you had an urge to pee that you couldn't ignore.

You can laugh
A spineless laugh
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you
Now we are one in everlasting peace

       You hadn't laughed in the longest time, had seldom told a joke, or even smiled. But there was seldom reason to anymore. Everybody left you.

We hope that you choke, that you choke

       You faltered only slightly as you went about getting dressed. Finally, you breathed a sigh of relief as you completed the first step. Now, as you made your way to your laptop, you were anxious to get back into the swing of things as you pulled up your research and continued writing in one of your many notebooks.