ENTRY #5: The Red Shoes

“Mom! Look!” I said pointing at the red shoes on display. “Can you buy them for me?”

She heaved a sigh before saying, “No.”

“Why? Please, I want to have those.”

“Exactly,” she paused seeing my baffled look then continued. “You want them, but you don’t need them. Besides, I just bought you a pair of shoes last month.”

I did not push through it anymore, but then…what about the shoes? They’re really cute with a small silver bow on top of a red bow near the ankles with a black strap (which looks like butterfly wings) just above the ankles around three inches thick.

I tried again to persuade my mom to buy them for me once we reached our house. I really like those shoes and they’re for a limited edition only.

“So, mom…” I began. “Would you, um, buy those shoes for me?” I asked with pleading eyes. I mean, there’s no harm in trying, right? She might even be persuaded and buy those shoes for me tomorrow.

“Naomi, how many times would I tell you? I won’t buy those.” She said with an air of finality.

“But—”

“Naomi, mom said no already. We won’t always buy what you want. We need to budget our money for other important things.” Cecile, my older sister, said.

I ignored her and faced my mom once more and tried again. “Please?”

“No. And don’t argue anymore Na—where do you think you’re going?”

“Outside. I’ll go get some fresh air.” And before she could say anything, I was already out of the house.

I know I’m being stubborn and it’s not nice…but it was all because of peer pressure. I wanted to impress others especially that I’m in third year high school. I was always teased before because I didn’t really have things my other classmates had during grade school and I wanted to change that. I wanted to be like them.

It was this time of day where you would see vendors at the park; selling cotton candies, street foods, rice cakes, and such. But there was this person sitting against a wall selling monggo beans that caught my attention.

I went to her and she immediately noticed my presence.

“Would you like to buy?” she asked me, smiling.

Ignoring her question, I said, “You don’t have legs?” I wanted to slap myself for asking such a stupid question. How ignorant can I be? I really should think before I speak.

She shot me a weak smile. “Amputation. Diabetes.”

“But why are you here? Selling? In your condition?” And here I go with these questions again. I really should have a filter placed in my mouth.

“The medical fees were expensive and we weren’t really able to afford the medication. We had to loan and now, I’m helping my parents pay off our debt.”

“How thoughtful of you,” I said, smiling. She returned the smile as I sat down beside her.  Talking to her made me realize something.

“You look troubled. Something wrong?” My first thought was: why would I even say it to her? But there’s this certain aura on her; a certain bond that I feel towards her.

And so, I told her about the shoes, the small banter between my mom and I and until I met her.

“Wait, I didn’t quite catch your name. You are…”

“Oh, I’m Emma,” she said, smiling. “You?”

“Naomi.”

“You know what Naomi? You don’t know how lucky you are. Even if they give me shoes or slippers, what’s the point? I wouldn’t even have the chance to wear them. Be thankful that you have feet and apologize to your mom for how you behaved once you go home.”

I gave her a watery smile as I hugged her and muttered, “I’m thankful to have met a friend like you. Thanks, Emma.”

“No problem.”

“I’d better get going. See you around!” I said, waving at her.

“Good bye!” Emma said as she waved back.

I realized a lot of things with my talk with Emma. I’ve changed a lot (and certainly not for a better person). I was so desperate to fit in; to be part of the “in crowd”. I’ve acted as though I’m rich when in reality, I’m not.

Once I’m inside the house, I immediately went to look for my mom and found her in the kitchen with Cecile.

“Mom,” I said, hugging her from behind her back. “I’m really sorry for how I acted earlier. You don’t have to buy those shoes for me anymore.”

“Oh, Sweetie,” she said facing me while stroking my hair.

“Family hug!” Cecile shouted, hugging us.

“I once was sad for I had no shoes, until I saw a man that had no feet."  -UNKNOWN