ENTRY #25: Annie

Dear me, you look a little lost. Are you from here? No?

Oh. You’re looking for Annie? Well, you’ve just met the right person. I’m a friend of her mother. I’m Meryl. I can take you to their house if you want to.

Oh, don’t be shy. Come on. I’ll guide you. Hold my left hand, okay?

Don’t be nervous. Can you feel the heat from my palm? My, your palm is a little sticky. Please, rub them on your shirt before we move on.

Done? Good.

The house we’ll be visiting would have a character of its own. I think we would be able to spot it easily.

There it is! Do you see that beautiful two-storey house with the rustic bricks for walls? It looks very homey, doesn’t it? It’s as if we have stumbled across the three Bears’ home. You can even think of me as Goldilocks. Don’t worry. No bears are hiding inside, I think. I can’t see through the curtains though. They are too thick. Oh, see that, smoke is rising from the chimney. I guess someone’s home. Let’s cross the street now, and quickly.

Hmm, even their door is quite lovely.  Why don’t you be the one to knock?

You don’t want to? I guess I’d be the one then.

Knock Knock Knock

Hmm. No one’s answering.

Knock Knock.

Click!

Oh, look. The door’s open all along? Why don’t we invite ourselves inside?

Creeaaaaaakkkk

Why do you look scared? The door needs a little oil, is all. Come on, Annie has a story to tell. I only know some parts so she has to fill the others up, okay?

I’ll show you the living room. I think you need to see Annie first.

Tap tap tap

Look here, this is Annie. She’s lovely right? Blond curls, tanned skin, blue eyes that shine like sapphires. From what I heard, she was prom queen in high school, a council president and athletic to boot. And, with her credentials, she can go to any university she likes. Sadly, her mother can’t be away from her. A good friend of mine, she couldn’t bear that her poor daughter be exposed to the horrors of the world. ‘Annie’s too young, too innocent’ was what she would always say.  Her mother was always going on and on about the things that would corrupt her Annie but let’s face it, the world truly is a cruel place. Are you quite bored with staring at Annie’s picture? I guess we can see the other rooms now. Shall we?

Blag!

What’s that? You heard something? I think you need to have your ears checked darling.

And, here’s the kitchen. It’s rather clean isn’t it? Oh my, someone left the pot to cook. I’ll just close it.

Fwip

There. I think they wouldn’t mind us sitting on the chairs, do you?

Scrape scrape

Oooh, that’s better. My feet are killing me.  The table looks fabulous. Oh my, these applees do look tasty and I’m rather hungry. Could you get the knife for me please? Thank you. Anywhoo, you’re writing for the school newspaper right? About Annie’s disappearance six months ago, correct?

People always presume that maybe she ran off with a lover, gotten herself pregnant and is now raising a child of her own. Well, I think that’s not it. Mmmm. This apple is really good! Do you want one? No? More for me then.