That Rainy Season When We Bloomed

I must say I made a mistake in saying yes without thinking too much of my actions.

Karl's birthday fell on a Sunday and I only had Saturday left for me to think of the best gift I can give her. As soon as the practice was done, I went home and found my family complete.

I kissed my parents and went upstairs to bring my bag. I immediately opened my laptop to check for ideas. I was making some comparison when Ahia came inside unnoticed.

"Best gift ideas to give to a girl," he read what I searched. "May nililigawan ka?"

"Meron," I answered without really thinking of what he asked and what I answered. It was as if I answered it just for the sake of it.

There was a long period of silence and I realized Ahia didn't move at all.

When a Jeron falls in love and decides to court a girl, Jeric is the first one who learns about it. When a Jeric falls in love, Jeron is the first one to know. That's our brotherhood motto.

And I never said anything to him for the longest time I can remember.

"What was your question?" I asked him back, realizing that something just went wrong.

Kuya laughed at me when he saw my face which looked totally clueless. I was facing the laptop again.

"I asked you Shoti if you are courting a girl," he said.

"Wala," I answered coherently.

"Then why did you say yes? And why are you looking for something to give to a girl?" he asked me. That was the first time I understood his question.

"Nothing. Ka-," I almost slipped. "I mean, my classmate is going to have her 18th birthday this Sunday and I'm looking for a nice gift."

"O? Classmate lang pala bakit kailangan best gift? Pwede naman bilhan ng bag, ng pabango, o di kaya ng damit," he said. I knew he was teasing me.

I shrugged. "Too usual. She can get herself those. Maybe I can give her something meaningful."

"E di picture frame o di kaya photo album," Ahia suggested. I didn't mind it at first. Photo albums were gifts during Monito Monita on elementary days. It's too old school.

"Ahia, do you know anything that girls like to collect? Except the usual. I mean, like Ate Reema or Karl... Maybe you know anything they love to collect?" I asked him carefully.

"Karl talaga?" he laughed.

"Oo. Iba naman si Ate Reema, iba din si Karl. They would have different preferences," I explained.

"Reema loves snowballs. Si Karl, mahilig sa pictures."

I nodded.

I had an idea.

--

Sunday afternoon.

Our driver dropped me off at Manila Peninsula around 6 PM. The invitation said 6 PM and I knew that events do get delayed and so I took my time. When I got inside the hall, there were already a lot of people.

Buti na lang hindi nakita ni Kuya yung invitation na binigay sa akin ni Karl. I know I would have to tell him soon.

Just not now.

I shook my head when everything that was happening unfolded before me. The shy girl I first saw didn't look to be someone capable to afford something as extravagant as this. Or maybe, with the background Ahia told me, she can afford it but she would choose not to have it. She was the simple girl then. Now she's the glamorous lady.