That Sunny Day When We Laughed

I held both her hands after I covered her eyes with a black piece of cloth. I was guiding her as we were heading to a place where I will be giving her my gift.

It is a Monday, the day after her debut, and I picked her up at the hotel as early as 8 AM. Kahit na inaantok ako, I made sure that I will get up from the bed early and prepare to see her.

From there, we headed to a salon where she had a minimal makeover done. She refused at first but I was able to force her sit down and just let the stylist do what he needed to do.

As soon as she was done, I drove to the exact place where we were going.

I do not know what we are, honestly. I know she tempted me to kiss her which I didn't do. Well, yes, I did but it wasn't the exact kiss she was telling me. I lived up to her challenge while maintaining respect. But I'm happy with what we are, whatever we may be called.

"Jeron, inaantok pa ako. Hindi ba pwedeng hayaan mo na lang ako maglakad?" she asked me.

"No," I answered. "Malapit na tayo so don't worry, chouchou."

We further walked inside and when we got to where I should bring her, I walked behind her and removed the blindfold.

She found a studio the moment she opened her eyes. The photographer smiled and walked up to us. He shook my hand.

"Harry," he introduced himself. "Is she the one?"

I nodded.

"Good. The dresses are in there," he said and pointed a corner where a rack of clothes were. "She can use the room over there to change. Thirty minutes. Would that be sufficient?"

I nodded. "Thanks," I said to him and he left.

"Ano to? Bakit tayo nandito?" she asked me.

"This is my gift to you," I answered. Thru kuya, I had this idea of hiring a photographer to take a thousand pictures of her on that studio. He provides the clothes and other materials needed to do that photoshoot. All we needed to do was to come in ready. Once it is done, he provides a copy of the said pictures and prints twenty, enclosing it on a photobook.

She was surprised; halfway wanting to smile, halfway stopping herself from giggling. And she didn't realize I was still holding her hand.

"Seryoso ka ba? Magpipictorial ako?" she chose to smile. "And you said, one thousand pictures?"

I nodded. "There's nothing wrong making my girl be a model for a day, right?" I smiled at her.

"Walang joke, botch?"

"Botch?" I asked.

"Short for botchog," she teased me. "Lakas mo kasi kumain e."

I laughed. "I burn them all," I told her. "Hindi naman nabawasan kagwapuhan ko dahil dun di ba?"

She nodded while smiling, not saying a word. Her reaction was reserved and somehow, she was like the Karl I have first known. The simple one who can be happy even for simple reasons.

"Happy?"

She nodded, her action still hesitant to admit that she is. I laughed and turned her around. I held her on both shoulders and pushed her to the rack of clothes waiting for her. Another stylist walked up to her and helped her in getting the best pairs to wear. She first tried a bright yellow dress, wore a hat, and a pair of shoes that matched her outfit. When she was done, Harry gave her instructions as to what she needs to do when posing for the camera and she was excited. I clearly saw the child in her, far from the fierce woman I danced with last night.