That Sunny Day When She Did What She Could

The sun is just around the corner but somehow it's still hiding beyond the clouds.

Lagi na akong iniiwasan ni Jeron when I went back to school. There were times that I wanted to talk to him then he reroutes. With his parents not aware of what really happened, I've maintained my respect for everyone. When they have a game, I say hi to them when Jeron's not around.

I love Jeron. Without a single doubt. Even if I will be the old Karl na naiwanan ni Jeric, o yung new Karl na minahal nya, si Jeron lang ang pipiliin ko.

It rained karma though during those times that I have been alone.

Jeron leaving me behind was too much of a punishment for me. I created my own saltwater pool sa bathtub ko kakaiyak.

I never lost faith that Jeric will agree na mag-usap kami. It has been at least a week after I talked to Dichi and Achi about talking to Jeric before he agreed to see to me. I was at home when he called me and we met.

I knew from the start it would be an awkward situation. We have been sitting for the past fifteen minutes with casual one-liner conversations but never mentioned a thing about our real reason why we met.

"Kumusta si Jeron?" I finally took courage to ask him. The clock's tick was too loud because of the silence between us.

"He's fine. Sad maybe. Missing you," he answered.

I smiled. "Sinabi nya ba?"

He shook his head. "But I can feel it. Laging iritable. Ganun naman yun palagi pag bad mood."

Then silence again.

"Jeric," I called him and looked at me. "I wanted to talk to you to say sorry."

He kept quiet for a while.

"You've apologized more than what you should have done. I'm sorry I needed to give you a hard time. I just had a lot of hatred then. Ako naman talaga yung hindi nakamove on sa nangyari," I told him sincerely. "I'm sorry that I still thought of getting even with you when I could have just trusted Jeron when he came. He said sorry a lot of times to me and I never realized how much he loves you as his brother. I felt guilty for what I was doing. Sinabihan na ako ni Charm na tigilan yung ginagawa ko. Hindi ako nakinig until that accident. I woke up one day realizing I love him. Hindi ko naman alam na mas pinili mong maging kuya sa kanya."

I saw him smile. I admit I found his act admirable. Hindi naman lahat ng tao nagagawang piliin ang pamilya than offers like that.

"Jeron's my younger brother and he will always be my family. I was at the point of saying yes for myself but I can't bear sharing the same room with him knowing that I'm also after you."

I smiled. Somehow, I saw the same Jeric I loved. The sweet talker, the caring guy. I missed him.

"I'm sorry for hurting you. I know I mean something. Up to this point. Kahit hindi mo sabihin. I don't know what but I knew I mattered. I'm sorry I made a way for you to be jealous. That was just the bitch in me. But you'll always be my first love Teng. Or should I say my first Teng love," I smiled. "I wouldn't have known I am capable of it if it weren't because of you."

He laughed. Somehow the tension between us was disappearing.

"Don't tell me that. I might choose to be with you now and disregard my brother," he kidded. "By the way, I broke up with Reema a few days ago. For real."

"Bakit?" I was surprised. "Sayang naman yung pinagsamahan nyo."

He shrugged. "It just came to a point that we stayed together for the sake of it. I'm no longer inlove with her. If you were single that time, I would have tried sweeping you off your feet again but Jeron already carried you with him," he smiled. "Mahal mo na ba talaga si Jeron?"