That Night Of Reconciliations and Bigger Decisions

Life's too short. If there was one lesson I learned in this lifetime, it was the reality that among all the things in the world, love is what makes it worthwhile.

-Andie

--

"Ngiting-ngiti a?" Forts asked. We were in the hospital, visiting Luke after Kevin dragged us with him. It was the day of Luke's discharge from the hospital and he was more excited than anyone. More than the parent.

"Mamaya makikita mo," he answered while I was showing Luke my new collection of small anime characters.

"Pagbigyan mo na Kap kesa naman maglasing na naman yan," I told him. "Mas madali pakisamahan yan pag nakangiti kesa umiiyak."

"Oy Lo! Kelan pa ako umiyak?" he rebutted which made Aljon laugh and hit him with the pillow on the couch.

"Gago! Hindi mo ba alam ginawa mo nung lasing ka?!" Forts said.

"Yang bibig mo Kap, nadidinig ka ni Luke, kung anu ano sinasabi mo!" he said and covered his ears. "Luke, don't listen to them. They're bad people."

He was just about to say something more when the door went open and Andie came in, followed by her parents then a tall white guy.

Blue yung mata, matangkad, may ichura. Matangos ang ilong, masakit sa tenga magsalita. Pwede ng pang-boyband. Medyo hawig sa isang singer ng Parachute. Unang tingin, hindi ka magtataka bakit nagustuhan ni Andie. Pag tinignan at kinompara mo yung kaibigan ko, masasabi mo na mabait talaga si Kev.

No doubt he is Luke's sperm donor.

Parang tinapyas sa mukha nya yung mukha ni Luke, hinaluan ng utak ni Andie, at kasungitan ni Tanya. Pag pinaghalo mo, si Luke ang kalalabasan.

"Are you excited to go home?" he asked Luke. He didn't answer but the little boy returned my phone.

"Thank you Tito Kim," he said quietly.

He lifted Luke from the bed and carried him. Luke was quiet even if I could see the hesitation in his face when his father did. It made me wonder why this monkey kept on smiling kahit na nandito naman pala yung karibal nya.

When we got to the parking lot, they took Andie's car while the rest of us took Forts'. We headed straight to their home. I saw Teng's car parked on one side. Hindi ko nga alam bakit sinama pa kami dito sa pagsundo kahit hindi naman balikbayan ang pinunta namin kundi yung galing sa ospital. Nagmukha tuloy fiesta yung paguwi ng bahay ni Luke.

Tanya and Teng were there pagdating namin and Tanya didn't look that happy. She had circles on her eyes and even if we're not that close, I felt her stress. She kissed Luke when she saw him but stayed away from him as much as she could. We had lunch and she remained quiet while Andie and Liam looked after Luke. After dining, he called Tanya for them to talk in private with the rest of their family but she politely declined.

I saw Teng talk to her but she just shook her head and stayed where she was. Mayamaya, lumabas na si Liam kasama si Andie, Luke, and her parents. His eyes were red and he was carrying Luke.

We saw him kiss and hug Luke tight with the latter not saying anything. Her parents asked for Teng's help with their luggage.

"Be a good guy, okay?" he reminded Luke. "I will see you soon. If you need and want anything, just let me know. I'll spend time with you again soon."

Luke didn't answer before Liam let him go. It was Kevin who took him.

"Thank you Tanya. Thank you for taking care of Luke," he said after wiping his own tears. The latter didn't say anything. Kay Tanya talaga nagmana si Luke.