That Summer When He Left

It was the last ten seconds of the fourth quarter.

He positioned himself outside the three point margin and aimed for a shot. He was surrounded by other players and the way he saw it, he couldn't make it.

But it is the LAST crucial ten seconds that will determine if they will win that season or if it will be their opponent's.

At this point in time, he needs to make that shot to finally declare their university that year's champion. He quickly scanned the front row to check if she's there.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, finding some confidence inside.

Lord, if I see her on the seat I saved for her, I know I can make it.

He then opened his eyes and looked at the same spot.

He then made a shot.

Then the buzzer.

He got the point.

She is there. She came.

His girlfriend went to watch his game despite her saying no to his previous requests. Best of all, they won.

He could never be happier.

While the rest were all cheering with the win, he jumped off the distance between them and grabbed her on a very tight embrace. It didn't matter that time if he was sweaty or what.

What mattered was that she came. People were all watching them and his girl was happily smiling at him as they won the title that school year. He did his best for her and it paid off.

Jeron must have felt it was the last day of his life. He held his girlfriend's face between his hands and gave her a short, passionate kiss which made everyone turn around, watch, and be envious.

They all didn't matter that time. What mattered was him and Karl.

"Thank you for coming babe," he said. "I thought hindi ka na dadating. Busy ba sa resort?"

She smiled. "Medyo naging busy. Pero ayos naman. Naayos ko na yung problema. Tinanggal ko na lahat ng lumot," she kidded. "I'm sorry I'm late. I'm glad I still made it and see you make that winning shot."

"Will it be available for me to spend some intimate weekend there with my girlfriend?" he asked sweetly.

She smiled and nodded. "All ready even before you asked babe. Deluxe room. Conchita. Beach front. Registered under Jeron Alvin Uy Teng."

He smiled in contentment. "Thank you Mrs. Karline Teng."

"I love you," she told him sincerely.

"I love you too Karl," he said and gave her another quick kiss before he gave in to the courtside reporter's interview.