Those Days He Wasn't Wanted

She isn't the best mother there is. There were more mistakes committed than the right ones. She's from North Pole when she's with Luke; she's from South Pole when we're alone. The distance between those two poles define her. She's that broad.

-Jeric

--

I saw Jeron's wristwatch on my sidetable the moment I woke up. He spent the night in my place after a long tiring day at school.

After Jeric's party, I started feeling sick. The difference in temperature was simply killing both of us it made me feel I'd get bedridden soon. I stood up and checked my phone for any messages and when there was none, I went back to bed. Manang Christina stayed at home to look after me pero kahit anong pilit ko kay Jeron na umuwi, he didn't move.

Shortly, he went out of the bathroom wearing our new terno sleeping pajama na kulay green. He had a smile painted on his face when he saw me.

"Good morning," he said and lied down beside me. "How was your sleep?"

"Enough," I answered. It was already 1 PM. "Sorry nakatulugan na kita kanina. Were you able to talk to your Ahia yesterday?"

He shook his head. "Hindi pa. Hindi kami nagaabot sa bahay. I think he's spending time with that girl."

"Ayan ka na naman e. Lagi ka na lang ganyan magisip. Give them some benefit of the doubt. Let him explain before you generalize. Malay mo naman mabait."

"Karl, what benefit of the doubt are we talking about? They are kissing each other like there was no tomorrow. In public! After that, he never told us anything about her. What's the point? We've always been open about our relationships and if they're serious, why isn't he telling Mom about it?"

"Jeron, why do you want him to tell everyone about what he has? He has the liberty to keep it to himself for a while until he is ready," she defended.

"Ready? You do not go into any kind of relationship if you are not ready. Ano, trial and error lang sila?" he said. "Bakit nya itatago si Tanya kung sila naman talaga? Mom even asked him if he was going out with any girl nung birthday nya. Why did he deny?"

"That was his choice. Baka naman hindi pa sila nung time na nagtanong Mommy mo," she answered.

"Is that how you kiss your girlfriend the first day na maging kayo? Tapos umalis sila sa bar the same time? Anong klaseng babae ba si Tanya? Baka niloloko lang nya si Ahia! That fast track relationship?" he asked her, his voice too irritated.

Karl couldn't help it but sit on the bed.

"Jeron Teng, inaaway mo ba ako dahil sa relasyon ng kapatid mo kay Tanya?!" she said, frustrated. "Bakit pati ako inaaway mo? I'm fine if you are venting out but you raising your tone on me doesn't make sense. Umuwi ka na sa inyo."

"I'm not arguing with you, Karl," he answered her back. "I'm just merely explaining why I'm thinking this way! Pano kung niloloko nya lang si Ahia? Tatahimik na lang ba ako dito? Papayag na lang ako na lokohin sya? I will do the same thing that he did for me before!"

Jeron instantly regretted what came out of his mouth. "I'm sorry, that's not what I mean, Mahal."

Karl paused and her face straightened. "Yeah, right. You're brothers. Kaya nga nung niloloko kita, pinili nyang magsabi sayo kesa sa pumayag sa sinabi ko di ba?" she said and stood up from the bed.

"We're not talking about us Karl," he said and followed her. "That's part of the closed book."

"Oo. Kaya nga di ko alam kung bakit inuungkat mo ngayon," she said and went inside the bathroom. "Akala ko kinalimutan mo na kasi."