Chapter 42

I looked down at my rose gold bracelet that shimmered in the bright daylight. With my phone still in my hands, I looked up awkwardly at Ed.

'What's wrong? You suddenly went pale.' He said, worry written all over his face. He placed a hand on my shoulder but I flinched away, remembering our lunch all too clearly.

'I'm really sorry, but I've got to go.' I told him and without leaving him time to reply, I was off.

From outside the front door to our flat, I could hear Sarah playing on her piano. Should I risk going in now? What if she was filming a video? Her microphone would definitely pick up the sound of the door opening and closing.

I hung around for a little while longer, with my ear pressed against the door. When I heard Freya burst out laughing, I was convinced it was fine to walk in. I quickly unlocked the door and opened it.

'There she is!' Freya turned around to look at me with a smile. One of her hands was holding her stomach, which was still completely flat. Maybe she's exaggerating, just a little bit?

I scanned the living room and kitchen quickly, and then smiled back at them. Sarah had stopped playing piano at this point, and had turned on her stool to watch me as well. Neither of them seemed to notice I was lurking behind the front door for a while. 'Where have you been?' She quizzed. 'Did you go for a run? Your face is completely red.'

'I met up with Will.' I told them as my jacket slid off my arms. I was still panting from my run away from Ed.

'Will? I thought you weren't seeing him anymore. Didn't he drop out of uni?' Sarah asked.

I simply shrugged. 'Where is Simon?'

'He went up to the boys' flat to look for you but then went home when he said he couldn't find you. He made us scrambled eggs and baked beans with sausages for breakfast.' Freya explained. I didn't even know we had all that in the house.

'A true gentleman,' Sarah giggled along. I smiled warmly at them. Honestly, the thought of Simon making breakfast for my two best friends made me feel like I was glowing. It washed all the guilt away. 'Look at her, she's smitten.' She added.

I smiled and shrugged. 'I mean, you're not wrong.'

'I hope my baby finds love like you two have.' Freya said. Oh, fuck off.

I suddenly stopped in my tracks, realising I shouldn't be taking my coat and shoes off just yet. Instead, I picked up my car keys that were laying on the kitchen island.

'I'm heading over to the Sidemen House. Anyone care to join?' I offered, but Sarah shook her head which was understandable seeing as her boyfriend only lived a few staircases away.

'Yeah, I'll go visit Josh.' Freya said. Great, an awkward car ride with Freya so she could boast about her baby the whole way there. Love it.

'And that gives me time and quiet to record my video. Perfect!' Sarah smiled happily. Crap, so she was recording a video.

Just as Freya was putting on her own coat and shoes, I managed to send a small text Simon's way.

Me: I'm coming over :)

Simon: okay :)))

When we arrived, Vik was the one to open the door for us. 'Guys, the gals are here!' He shouted up the stairs.

But there was no response. Freya and I flashed each other a knowing look, a grin forming on both our faces.

'To be fair, it's four in the afternoon. They're probably still asleep.' She joked.

I bounded up the first flight of stairs to Simon's room, and slowly pushed open the door to reveal Simon laying in his bed. Light filtered in through all the big windows, but none of his computer monitors were on, and neither was his TV. Instead, he was laying on his back, scrolling through something on his phone.

When he heard me open the door, he looked at me with his bright blue eyes and messy bleached hair, a toothy smile slowly making its way on its lips. He held his arms out and said 'come here'.

I walked over gladly and jumped on top of the covers, sliding into his arms next to him. He turned his phone off and threw it somewhere on his bed. He buried his face in my neck as he strengthened his hold around my waist, then tangled his legs together with mine.

'How's Freya doing?'

If anything could kill the mood, that was it.

I let my fingers run through his hair. 'She's fine.' I felt him nod.

'If you keep playing with my hair I think I'll fall asleep.' He murmured, making me giggle. I pretended to pout and took my hand away, only for him to grab it and put it back up to his hair so I'd start playing with his short strands again. I loved when he was needy like this so I placed a quick kiss on his cheek and watched him close his eyes momentarily as I did so.

'So what are you going to do about your flat?' I asked.

'My flat? You mean our flat?' He asked and furrowed his brows. I rolled my eyes and smiled. I wasn't exactly sure if it was our flat, even though when we lived in it, we both payed rent. I just assumed that when I left, it became all his. 'I dont know to be honest, I was going to ask you.' He added.

'You could have other people move in, right?' I proposed.

'We,' He corrected. 'Or we could just have it as a space to ourselves. I'm not saying we could move in again–'

'Like an office space?' I asked and he nodded. He stayed silent for a while as we heard someone walk across the hallway right outside Simon's bedroom door.

'Aw, they're so cute. They're finishing each other's sentences.' We heard JJ laugh.

'Yeah, I'm glad they're back together. Makes everything so much better and easier.' Josh agreed.

Simon and I smiled giddily at each other as we eavesdropped on JJ and Josh's conversation. He placed both hands on my waist and then picked me up carefully so I was now straddling him on the bed.

I reached down to cup both his cheeks, his jawline dotted with stubble and then pressed my lips to his.

'Ew! They're making out!' JJ screamed and ran further down the hall to his room, leaving Josh running after him in a fit of laughter.

We broke the kiss with our own laughter, too. 'But would you want to move back there?' I asked the one question that remained on my mind.

He shrugged. 'It's an option. A very good one.'

———

Finally a little bit more action :) (the chapter actually had a lot more before but I deleted it cos it was super cringe lol)

Mel xx

Twitter: overworkdwriter