RC --- Chapter TWENTY-FOUR

Beginnings are usually scary and endings are usually sad, but it’s everything in between that makes it all worth living. - Anonymous

December 6, Friday

12:45 PM

Glorrieta Galleria

“I’m sorry for being away this long.” He apologized in his sleepy voice.

“Anu ka ba? It’s okay, I understand. Logically, you have a vast multi-million company to run. It’s but natural for you to be busy.”

“Yeah I know and the pressure keeps on mounting. But after this, I promise everything will be back to normal.”

“You don’t have to rush. I’m not going anywhere.” I assured him then heard no more afterwards. I sighed, he fell asleep again. “Take care there.” I said lastly before disconnecting the call.

After returning from Baguio, Miguel and I never really got the chance to see each other. He was in America fixing an almost ruined partnership with an equally powerful corporation. And he had been really busy.

However, what was odd was his effort to communicate. Despite the busy schedule, he made it possible to call me every day, mostly before he went to sleep which was almost midnight there and midday here.

It was the third time for him to doze off before saying goodbye. The first time, he got a short scolding from me when he called back first thing after waking up. But like today, the second time I understood him pretty well. I knew how pressured and exhausted he was and a nagging me won’t do him any good.

I flipped my phone back to my tote bag and stood. I walked out of the counter and headed to the storage room.

“Ate Tina, mauna na po ako.”

“Ah sige Alex. Mag-ingat ka.” She responded and followed me towards the exit.

I nodded at her reply and continued walking out of the shop. I glanced at my watch. It was almost 1. My third class was canceled so I basically had no plans for the afternoon.

I went straight to the parking lot and rode my car. I stayed still for a moment as the heaviness of certain issues collided into my overly working brain.

On Tuesday, Lexy traveled to Korea for some business-related things she needed to personally settle. Therefore, I haven’t revealed Jacques’ dark secret life yet. And it was eating me up inside. That was why I decided I needed someone to confide to. Unfortunately, there was no one.

Xas was in an overseas shoot for her second single (by the way, her first one was a massive hit). Ricky was also out of the country for an obligatory family gathering which explained why he wasn’t able to attend Nix’ wedding. And of course Nix was in her honeymoon.

As if my mind wasn’t befuddled enough, things kept surfacing randomly.

Yesterday I got two surprises.

First was a call from Miguel’s sister, Elise inviting me for an early dinner. Although apprehensive, I agreed and so we met up in a cozy Italian restaurant. It surprised me more though that she was not alone, Tita Charlotte was there too.

It felt awkward at first. I didn’t know how to act but both of them were very accommodating and had no mentions about the instance and lie I gave during the wedding. An instant connection and a bond sprouted. It was comfortably satisfying. Although it was only a 5-hour conversation and story-telling, I felt like I found a new family in them.