RC --- Chapter THIRTY-FOUR

It is with true love as it is with ghosts; everyone talks about it, but few have seen it. --- Anonymous

January 7, Tuesday

11:00 AM

Grandeur Grand Hotel

It was amazing how I was able to go through the first thirty minutes smoothly despite the lack of sleep, Miguel’s awkward presence and the unfamiliar topic being presented by an overweight fifty-ish man in a black suit that appeared choking his whole form. 

The next thirty however was a different story. I fought hard to keep my eyelids from drooping as my attention shifted alternately from reality and dreamland.

By the time the clock ticked 11, it wasn’t bearable anymore. I quietly got up and stealthily paced out of the room after whispering to Carlo the reason why.

At once, the energy that had left me slowly returned as I stretched my limbs out. After a few directional assistance from some of the hotel staff, I finally made it to the bathroom.

I delicately rinsed my face with the warm tap water reflecting on the mirror image. I brushed a few strands of my hair backwards. I’ve cut half of its length which now was at shoulder level in layers. I’ve changed the color too from black to deep dark brown with golden highlights.

One of the biggest changes I’ve made was undergoing LASIK therapy thereby permanently saying goodbye to glasses and contacts. It was true what they say; you get to do extreme things when you’re either in tremendous happiness or pain. As for me, it was obviously the latter.

It was delightfully satisfying to be in Paris. It was the city of romance and I may have moped even more but the effect on me was the exact opposite. It was that city that soothed my being; its magic mended my crippled heart.

“If you would have spent five more minutes there, I would’ve gone in.”

“You scared me!” I hissed at an impatient Miguel whose hands casually deposited on each pocket and was leaning backwards on the wall. Closing the bathroom’s door, I quickly passed him and walked along the hallway intending to be back at the auditorium and away from him as fast as possible.

I could sense he was following. I quickened the pace but abruptly stopped upon reaching the edge. What was it again? Right or left? I silently cursed myself for the poor sense of direction and also the hotel because of its identical passages.

“Right side.” Miguel faintly said followed by a soft chuckle.

“Of course I knew that!” I hastily turned to the right but slowed down after, wanting Miguel to overtake me. He didn’t of course as his speed matched my own, maintaining a distance of few inches. “This is stalking!” I growled at him.

He chuckled. “I’d say it’s pure coincidence.”

“Whatever!” If my stare were a knife, Miguel would have had plenty of cuts and incisions over his body already. I resumed my hastened walk only to freeze again at the end upon realizing the unfamiliar set up; it was actually the wrong way.

I glared at Miguel whose desperate effort to suppress his laugh unsuccessful as he ended up laughing hard. That irked my irritation a notch up. “Very funny.” I turned around and was to resume my walk back but my hand was gently seized by Miguel’s.

“Let go!” I coldly tried to retrieve my hand but his grip was firm as he carefully dragged me out of the hallway towards the hotel’s main lobby. “Bitiwan mo nga ako!”