RC --- Chapter THIRTY-THREE

Trying to forget someone you love is like trying to remember someone you never knew. --- Anonymous

January 6, Monday

05:15 PM

The Peninsula Towers

The strong aroma of mixed cinnamon and thyme met my nostrils the moment I pushed the door open. Along with the suitcase, I dragged myself forward and closed the door. The place looked brand new, homey and relaxing just like the way I wanted.

The walls of yellow color radiated happiness whilst most of the furniture denoted the natural, down-to-earth neutral shade of brown. I could have not imagined the two colors combining perfectly but it did.

The flat was spacious with a second storey. The living and dining room visible plus the small portion of the kitchen further on the right side. Dropping my frame over the dark maroon couch, I’ve finally let exhaustion take over. Barely two days in the Philippines but it already felt like a month. Things were too overwhelming.

Yesterday, all I did was sleep and a little bit of work orientation from Carlo who was the only person I got to see. He had been here actually since the beginning of the year. He’d be taking over AZO’s main branch and would also be my mentor.

Yes, I’d be working in my father’s company at long last and he was beyond happy hearing it. I don’t know what pushed me to finally want his company just that I needed to be busier and preoccupied.

Obviously, today was my first day and it would have been an okay first time had it not been for Miguel’s surprise visit.

I quickly rose and pushed the negativity away. I couldn’t afford brooding over my love life when clearly there were better things that needed my attention. As promised, it was a new year and I would be a new me.

Dumiretso ako sa itaas at pumasok sa isa sa mga kuwarto. Yung pinakamalaki. Inayos ko ang mga gamit ko. Konti lang ito sapagkat hindi pa ako nakabalik sa bahay ni Xas. In fact, I haven’t even told them I was back.

I quickly grabbed my towel and headed to the bathroom. Naligo ako at pagkatapos ay nagbihis ng panlabas. Pupuntahan ko sina Xas. Before that though, I reached for my planner and took her number.

Just a few rings and I heard her voice. “Hello.”

“Hey Xas. It’s Alex.”

I heard Xas’ low gasp followed by words of excusing herself. “Private call. Sandali lang ha.”

Pagkatapos ng ilang segundo. “Alex! Where in the world have you been?! We’ve been worried sick! My gosh, kahit isa man lang sanang mensahe Alex! And now that you’re back, you haven’t even told us! Kay Miguel pa namin malalaman?”

“Sandali lang Xas. Hinay  hinay lang.” Putol ko sa sunod-sunod niyang tanong. “Nakausap niyo si Miguel?”

“Hello Alex!? Andito siya ngayon like what he had been doing since you left only now he wasn’t pestering us asking where you are, he actually said you’re back and imagine how shock and unaware we are.” I could almost picture Xas’ frowning face.

“Sorry Xas. I actually just arrived yesterday.”

“And you were too busy to make a call?” Nagtatampo ito.

“Xas please. I’m sorry okay.” I begged.

I heard her exhale deeply. “Fine. So ano plano mo? Pupunta ka ba dito ngayon?”