RC --- Chapter FOURTEEN

Only by joy and sorrow does a person know anything about themselves and their destiny. They learn what to do and what to avoid. --- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

November 20, Thursday

11:00 PM

Eastside Cove

Xas’ House

I slumped into bed as soon as we arrived home. It wasn’t a tiring day but I felt my energy fully drained both physically and mentally. I lied prone and closed my eyes wanting to take a quick rest before hitting the bath.

… I hear you're taking the town again

Having a good time 

With all your good time friends

I don't think that you think of me

You're on your own now 

And I'm alone and free…

“Seriously?” I irritatingly tried to remember where I had placed my bag. I let my eyes roamed and found it near the table so I lazily got up and took the phone out.

Unregistered number calling. Who could possibly be calling at this time of the night? Nagdalwang isip ako kung sasagutin ba ito o hindi. I dismissed the idea of the caller being my father as the number registered a local one.

“Hello?” I dived back to the bed, the phone on loudspeaker.

“Why’d you have band aid on your knee?” Came the voice of the caller.

I froze for a moment, quickly pondering if the caller was who I thought he was. “Miguel?” It was both a question and a statement.

“I would assume the name displayed is Great Chef but yes this is Miguel.”

“Sabi ko nga eh.” I was lucky I recognized his voice immediately otherwise how would I explain erasing his number? “Napatawag ka?”

“I was asking why you had a band aid, fashion style na ba yun ngayon?”  

I laughed. I have to admit this guy has humor. “Haha. I got a little scratch that’s all.” I stood up and entered the bathroom.

“Scratch from where?!” His voice, a bit louder.

“Hindi ako bingi, don’t shout.” Sinermonan ko ito, panu ba naman kasi nasa tenga ko lang yung phone, feeling ko tuloy nagkatinnitus ako sa lakas ng boses nya.

“Sorry.” Parang napahiya naman ito, his voice back to normal. “Nasugatan ka ba nung nabangg…” Napatigil siya sa pagsasalita, napatigil din ako sa pagbukas ng faucet.

“I mean nabangga ka ba somewhere?” He continued obviously trying to cover up the earlier slip.

“Yes, nakuha ko nung may bumangga sa akin. And Hep-hep Migz! I heard that. Wag mo na ideny. Gets ko na okay? They’re your men?” This time it was apparent in my voice that the only thing I wanted was the absolute truth.  But then I realized…

… wala akong kausap, the line went dead. “Hello?” I confirmed. “Hello?!!” Fuck! Did he just drop the call? I quickly dialed his number. Busy. Torralba! You’re a dead meat!

I dropped the phone on the laundry bin near the bathroom door and plunged myself into the half-filled tub wanting the water to devour my irritation. Naasar ako sa kanya!