RC --- Chapter THIRTY-FIVE

You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. --- Barbara DeAngelis

January 7, Tuesday

1:45 PM

Torralba’s Main Residence

The serenity disturbed as their bodies slammed into the chilling clear water. The shocked woman struggled with her breathing taking in a few unwanted gulps. The ever composed man in a snap wrapped his firm arm around her pulling them into the surface.

“Aahh!! I don’t know how to swim!” Alex frightfully shouted, coughing out forcefully the unwanted water. She was clinging on him for dear life, eyes shut, and feet desperately aping that of the swimmers.

“Stay still Hon, you’ll drag us down.” Miguel tightened his hold of her bearing both their weights. “Zee!” He said louder as the woman continued her frenzy actions. “Relax Hon, I won’t let you go. Promise. Never again.” He gently whispered and Alex’ struggles slowly stopped.

Her eyes remained closed as Miguel maneuvered them towards the side of the pool. It was still deep, her feet unable to reach the ground even with the additional three inches.

Miguel removed his hands from Alex’ hips which made her open her eyes abruptly. “Don’t!” She panicked. She snaked her arms even more on his neck.

He met her gaze and she saw passion, amusement and relief all in one. His hands found their way on the pool wall, strategically placed on each side of her head so that she was now basically trapped by his form.

The wind blew. Cold. They should’ve shivered immensely but the heat their bodies have been emitting compensated well they realized.

“How deep is this pool?” She asked roaming her eyes around just to break free from his gaze. Her grip easing a bit, suddenly embarrassed by her outburst.

”12 feet I guess.” His voice was soft and near. Alex felt his hot breath on her cheeks and she must’ve blushed.

The nearness of him gave her no time not to feel his firm physique, his well-toned body. It was impossible to control her accelerating heart beats yet again.

“I’d… I’d like to… go up now… if possible.” Her statement sounded more like an appeal than a command.

His right hand moved, dropping below the water into her hips. She thought he’d lift her up instead he pulled her body closer to his.

She was startled with their proximity. There was no more space. No gap. However, her words of protest caught in her throat when she saw once more the intensity in his eyes.

The churning in her stomach, invasion of searing heat, and unstoppable thunderous heart beats were all she could feel. Their nearness was driving her crazy and it seemed to have the same effect on him.

Little by little, her barriers came crashing down. Her determination to stay away from him waned as he gently cupped her chin and met her lips with his.

Reality hit her once more.

How could she not do something when it’s all she’d been wanting to?

How could she say no when every part of her was shouting yes?

How could she shun away from pain when the very same thing that felt it wanted to take the risk one more time?

How could she choose a life without him when she knew very well it wouldn’t be called life all along? That not being with him was worthless… lifeless.